Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did engine swap and now I have no spark motor ran when was pulled
From the other car.tried new/used crank position sensor .the crankshaft pulley was off I put it to tech and then installed it lined up to the hole in timing cover. What did I do wrong no spark all wires connected what else would make no spark?????

·
Registered
502 Posts
Before you can get any decent help you need to give better information. What car do you have? What type of engine are you swapping in?

"the crankshaft pulley was off I put it to tech and then installed it lined up to the hole in timing cover"

Could you please expand on this and hopefully in clearer language? I'm assuming it means you put the crank pulley on lined up to its correct position with the bolt in the hole in the timing cover. Did you also have the crankshaft at DTC as verified by the timing tool inserted in the plug on the back of the block? Were the cams also timed with a timing tool on the back of the cams?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Really far off cam-crank correlation will cause no spark on these. If you pulled the crank pulley then the engine instantly goes out of time. Did you complete the full timing process?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
502 Posts
Really far off cam-crank correlation will cause no spark on these. If you pulled the crank pulley then the engine instantly goes out of time. Did you complete the full timing process?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Not only that, if he cranks it over with it far out of time he has probably already destroyed the valves and will need to source a replacement engine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No have not done anything am in process now well trying to motor does not want to spin free so I’m assuming that I have to take timing cover and chain and set everything that way. Yes I have all the pins and camshaft plate whatever it called.I just did not go any fater because I did not want to force engine and bend something it had not been turned over since then I took original pully off because motor I put in had no ac and mine has ac so thus needing to time.so I’m also assuming I am going to have to listen motor mount to have enough clearance to remove crank pulley. Any help would be great

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did set piston to top dead center from the gate before I even put pully on and I seen that it has the hole in pulley and timing cover I did put bolt in it.so it could have not been to far off but now since I tried to put the plate in and othe rod in I can’t even turn the engine freely it gets to hard spot. So what do I do if it needs new head I have back up I would just have to get gasket set. What’s my next step from here. Can I post my phone number or how can I have people contact me directly??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok I got it all back together but I have a problem I bought new crank position sensor and the one that fits is bigger than the one I got from autozone??? Is the Ford Fusion sensor different cause I believe my motor came out of a fusion .it’s same motor just figured out which one fits it is this going to cause me problems?? I have no spark .. is there a way to test my cps??

·
Registered
502 Posts
You have to use the Mazda sensors for the engine to work. Your ECU is a Mazda ECU and it is looking for Mazda specific sensor data.

Also if you have an automatic and you have reinstalled the engine, if the torque converter is not properly seated in the transmission the engine will not turn. If you force it you will damage the transmission oil pump.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I got it all back together but I have a problem I bought new crank position sensor and the one that fits is bigger than the one I got from autozone??? Is the Ford Fusion sensor different cause I believe my motor came out of a fusion .it’s same motor just figured out which one fits it is this going to cause me problems?? I have no spark .. is there a way to test my cps??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I understand that I have to use Mazda sensor but the new motor has different holes for the bolts .one for the Ford Fusion is bigger as far as mount bolts.if I use stick Mazda or ford sensor it will not bolt up so what do I do???? How is this the only thing that is different.so what am I screwed and have to get new engine. I have so much money and time in this motor. Please someone has to know a way to make this work

·
Registered
51 Posts
If I remember from a co worker of mine that swapped a fusion motor into His 05 3 the timing cover, crank pulley, and cams needed to be swapped over to the fusion motor. Since the fusion did not come out until 06, the 04 and 05 2.3l in the Mazda 3 had a few differences from the 06 and newer fusions and 3’s.

·
Registered
502 Posts
They typically don't sell timing covers separately because they are part of the complete engine they'd rather sell, and they frequently break when the car is totaled. You should reuse the timing cover that originally came on your Mazda. Where is it???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok I got the original timing cover from same yeah and what not sensor the same now only thing I am noticed that the original timing cover has like inlets for I’m assuming oil to pass but where it it on the block that is machine flat how does this oil passage work?
Auto part Metal Machine Audio equipment Font

Brown Wood Handle Gas Household hardware

1 - 20 of 28 Posts