Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but there seems to be a slight problem on my radio/AC/clock display... The problem is that the AC display does not show on my screen when there seems to be a shadow of some sort that indicates that the AC display should be there (see picture)... At first I thought it must have been just the fuse..

I went to the Mazda dealer and asked them about it but they said that the fuses are ok, that the AC display should not be there and that only certain trims have them.. I'm not sure if this is true but maybe somebody here will be able to answer this..

Thanks in advance for the responses..

Attachments

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
They're correct. Auto Climate Control wasn't available in North America until the '06 model year. It was however available in some other countries at the same time and Mazda uses the same screen across all years of the first gen, thus the non-functional right side of the display. Similarly if you shine a flashlight on your cluster you'll see the spots for warning lights to systems you may not have such as ABS or TPMS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response... I guess if the shadows are present on the screen, then there must be a way to make it work right?? If so, how do I do that? Do I install a special tool to make that work or can I perhaps buy a separate display screen and then install that instead??

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=rzapata link=topic=187895.msg3966266#msg3966266 date=1300396549]
Thanks for the response... I guess if the shadows are present on the screen, then there must be a way to make it work right?? If so, how do I do that? Do I install a special tool to make that work or can I perhaps buy a separate display screen and then install that instead??
[/quote]

The shadows are there on all Mz3 because they use the same LCD on model without ACC that they do on models with ACC. If you don't have ACC then there's no way to make it work without replacing a ridiculous amount of components and spending a crazy amount of money on them. If you really wanted to make them work you'd save money by trading your car in and getting one with ACC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just curious, do you have any idea on what type of components I need to add?? I just want to see all possibilities that's all... Because just pondering on what types of components I might need to add (again, I'm not exactly sure which ones), there's probably a way to do a few tweaks, add a few wires/electronics then voila, working ACC.. :)

Since they use the same stuff on all of them, I just assume that it is still possible... (just like with fog lights, there's a stock wiring that's lets you install fog lights even if the car did not originally came with them)

Again, all possibilities would be very helpful.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Someone awhile ago compiled a list of things you'd need to add. Can't remember all of it. The controls need to be replaced, the inside temp. sensor added, the radiant temp. sensor (little round thing on the dash that's just a dummy in non-ACC models) added, all the motors/actuators to allow the ACC to control things at will, possibly a different PJB, etc. Beyond that the wiring harness between ACC and non-ACC is different so you'd either have to fabricate or replace the entire harness from the firewall back.

Like I said I can't remember everything that was involved, but it was cost prohibitive. Possible, probably. Just like the OEM Nav. You could buy all the parts and add it..... for about $3-4k. Not worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, that's very steep for just a few interior mods... I'd rather spend the money on performance upgrades.. Anyway, I do appreciate all the info.. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts