Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure a thread has been posted before on this but how do I connect my MP3 player to the factory radio system without using a FM transmitter.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Wow, four posts and no one's linked to my thread? :thinking: Click the audio input thread linked in my sig. for details on basically all the input options available. That being said the two best ones for your situation have already been suggested, those being the AuxMod basic and the Grom. The grom will run you a little cheaper and their company seems to be really good about customer service and keeping in touch when there are problems. The AuxMod was actually the first available aftermarket audio input for the 3 (prior to that people were soldering wires onto the circuit boards in the HU). sylfex has a history of not responding to e-mails, but honestly I've never heard of anyone having a problem with a module. Both methods will give you a 3.5mm input with the main difference (other than price) being that the grom connects through the sirius/CD changer jack on the back of the HU, and the AuxMod connects through the TAPE/MD port on the bottom of the HU. If you have either sirius or a TAPE/MD deck installed then that will pretty much make your choice for you.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It looks like the Grom has some slight advantages to the Audiolink, such as ability to scan and play random tracks. It's hard to tell from their manual which of its features are supported on the 3. They say that "certain car models" can do certain things, like display tracks, handle 99 CDs, etc. but they don't go into detail about which cars support which features.

One annoyance of the Audiolink is that tracks are played in the order that they were copied to the flash drive, and not in alphabetical or track order. The 6-CD limitation is also annoying, but I think that's a limitation of the 3, not the Audiolink. I have almost 99 tracks on one CD and it's a pain to skip through to the 99th track.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=elliot link=topic=138354.msg2994675#msg2994675 date=1237076521]
It looks like the Grom has some slight advantages to the Audiolink, such as ability to scan and play random tracks. It's hard to tell from their manual which of its features are supported on the 3. They say that "certain car models" can do certain things, like display tracks, handle 99 CDs, etc. but they don't go into detail about which cars support which features.

One annoyance of the Audiolink is that tracks are played in the order that they were copied to the flash drive, and not in alphabetical or track order. The 6-CD limitation is also annoying, but I think that's a limitation of the 3, not the Audiolink. I have almost 99 tracks on one CD and it's a pain to skip through to the 99th track.
[/quote]

Grom has two modules, one for the ipod, and one for a simple audio input. The OP is talking about hooking up a sansa mp3 player so it seems unlikely he'd be looking at the ipod version. If he went with the audiolink all he'd be using is the 3.5mm input which would be a waste of money when compared to the cheaper price of both the AuxMod basic, and the grom simple input.

·
Registered
6,667 Posts
I never had a problem with Syflex. I had a unit of theirs break on me, and they replaced it quickly and efficiently. Great customer service imo.

G

·
a question (might be kinda stupid),

if i have an aftermarket radio with AUX jack, do i still need to buy one of those as listed for 60$-120$, or is there a specific wire that connects from the AUX jack to sansa player?

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=iiOxFAte link=topic=138354.msg3000547#msg3000547 date=1237330115]
a question (might be kinda stupid),

if i have an aftermarket radio with AUX jack, do i still need to buy one of those as listed for 60$-120$, or is there a specific wire that connects from the AUX jack to sansa player?
[/quote]

All of the inputs in my thread are specifically for the OEM Mazda HU. If you have an aftermarket stereo then none of them will help you out. If your stereo has an auxiliary input then it's most likely a pair of RCA plugs on the back. If so then you just need a RCA-3.5mm cable from Radio Shack and you're ready to go.

G

·
awesome, that helps alot as you can see i was clueless with the technical details ^_^

that brings life to my sansa fuze, and no longer needing to continuously burn 100 songs on each mp3 cd =_=

here goes another retarded question - never used any types of these wires, but anyways
on this RCA wire, its a Y shaped, im guessing 1 end goes into the AUX input of the aftermarket stereo, why is there 2 other plugs?

i was guessing the other one would go into the socket of the sansa mp3 player headphone/earphone socket? but correct me if im wrong, since im clueless, so whys there a red/black

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2453699&tab=summary

thanks!

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
The red and white plug into the integration device, the black into the headphone jack of your MP3 player.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=138354.msg3001238#msg3001238 date=1237352371]
The red and white plug into the integration device, the black into the headphone jack of your MP3 player.
[/quote]

Or in the case of the link he posted the red plugs into the red, the black plugs into the white, and the 3.5mm plug plugs into your headphone jack.

Incidentally what stereo do you have in your car now? I ask because some aftermarket stereos the RCA inputs on the back aren't "active" without additional hardware. I've had two sony decks that had rear inputs, but it would only acknowledge them if there was something plugged into the CD changer port. Sony made two different things to accomplish this (aside from just plugging in a changer). The first was a little dummy cable that plugged into the changer port and just pretended to be a changer, the second was a multiple input box (three inputs, plus a USB input, plugs a CD changer pass-through). Obviously the first was a little easier, but we wanted to keep the changer working on the one in my wife's car.

G

·
This is the stereo that i have ordered

Pioneer DEH-P4000UB

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DEHP4UB/Pioneer-DEH-P4000UB.html?tp=5684

so basically i get the RCA 3.5mm plug and plug the other end into the sansa headphone jack, but like as you can see from the radio, link the aux has 1 socket only for the black i think? so where would the red be going

but yea i ordered a full system from crutchfield this past monday, and just got it in today, and it will be installed on sunday, this would help me get my sansa mp3 player fully compatible with the reciever, so this would greatly help me ^_^

·
Registered
171 Posts
You only would use the y-shaped RCA to 3.5mm if you are connecting your Sansa to a HU with rear RCA inputs.

The HU you referenced does not have RCA inputs in the back, just the 3.5mm Aux jack on the front panel. You just need a cable with a 3.5mm stereo plug on each end (looks just like a headphone plug). One end goes in the Sansa, the other goes in the front panel of the Pioneer.

G

·
awesome, will be looking forward to installing the radio this weekend, and the try out the 7$ cable, hopefully its not a POS

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=speeedbump link=topic=138354.msg3002417#msg3002417 date=1237406811]
You only would use the y-shaped RCA to 3.5mm if you are connecting your Sansa to a HU with rear RCA inputs.

The HU you referenced does not have RCA inputs in the back, just the 3.5mm Aux jack on the front panel. You just need a cable with a 3.5mm stereo plug on each end (looks just like a headphone plug). One end goes in the Sansa, the other goes in the front panel of the Pioneer.
[/quote]

+1 since there's an aux. plug on the face of the stereo you just need a 3.5-3.5 cable. Just make sure you buy a stereo and not a mono one (should have two black lines on the metal part of the plug, mono has one).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts