Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got some seats at the junkyard and swapped them in. I also got the oem switches for it and i open it up to find there are no loose wires to plug the switch wires in. Going through forums, I understood that the cars came prewired for these things? There is also a fuse for seat warmers in the passenger side fuse box.
IMG_6932.PNG IMG_6933.PNG IMG_6934.PNG

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
No, unfortunately they're not prewired. You have a little bit of work cut out for you.

I did the swap, it's not really hard at all, just tedious. I ran a 12 gauge power wire back to the battery, and used a relay to make sure the heaters can only turn on when the ignition is on.

Hopefully you grabbed the seat wiring harness as well as the switch harness while you were at the salvage yard. If you did, it's going to make the install far easier! If you didn't, I highly suggest you go back and grab them. Can they be wired without the factory harnesses? Yup. Do you really want to go through those headaches to make that happen? NOPE. Just cut them to make them as long as you possibly can.

From the car's harness that I grabbed when I grabbed my seats, I depinned the heater connection, and then soldered new wires to the connector. I then placed the pin back into the harness. I then ran those new wires back into the dash (If you go under the console, it's a straight shot!) and hooked them into the switches.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully you grabbed the seat wiring harness as well as the switch harness while you were at the salvage yard. Just cut them to make them as long as you possibly can.
By these harnesses, you mean the one that pops out from under the floor for the seat, and the whole bundle that connects to the part with the cig lighter?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yup, those are the ones. You'll have one from the floor to the left seat, one from the floor to the right seat, and one from the dash to your new switch panel.

When I got mine, I pulled the carpet up from the donor vehicle and cut as far back as I could. Same thing in the dash, I cut as far back as I could. For each of the three harnesses, I think I wound up with about a foot of wire, more than enough to successfully do the job with a minimum of fuss.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts