Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a few questions new guy and have been reading a lot on here but have question which surely have been addressed but with so much out there on the 2.3 to 2.5 swap I have not seen any answers to my questions.

A little info first I have a 2005 Mazda 3 with I assume a 2.3 it has salvage yard markings on it yellow marker so I assumed it's been replaced at some point before I came along.
Here is said engine. It sounds like the rod is about to come through the block LOL

Automotive air manifold Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Vehicle

So on with the questions this is an automatic car if I get a 2.5 engine, I believe from reading it will mount right up to the 2.3 Transmission ?

Also I have seen the 2.5 from a fusion with oval variable valve timing solenoid connector and one with a square which one or do I get the hybrid engine those are the three choices? From my pic the connector looks square.

This is the search I did hope this works Search Results I used a 2012 Fusion for my search.

Anyhow got this page from another thread on here great resource for sure.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Sorry to hear that you have another garbage 2.3, apparently the second one your car has had.

To answer your question, yes, the engine will mate up to the transmission without issue. As for the connector, you can technically use either one, it's just that the later model Fusions use a different connector. You can easily splice the newer connector onto your harness where the old connector was. Newer engines cost similar to older ones, and can usually be found with far fewer miles, making this extra step worth it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok one other question not much work space and pulling engine and putting new one back in may take a few weeks between.
Can the engine be pulled without take the frontend apart so I can roll car around after engine is removed?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No problem removing hood just have to have it mobile to move after engine is pulled till I get the new engine in a couple weeks. But leaving the hood on may have some good points also. I would not have to tarp it when I leave for work.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep have a set of tap and dies. I broke a 2 of the transmission to engine bell housing bolts went slow they started moving and I squirted down with PB but to no avail, no problem as they broke off in the old engine probably the PO doing. You can guarantee I will be tapping all the threads on the new to me engine.
And using a torque wrench not my first engine pull or install lol but it is my first dinky engine pull :ROFLMAO: . Definitely a lot more room in a classic Mustang and 90 F250 and a lot less stuff, but I will say it is organized better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hardest part about having to wait on engine is u have to put the tie rods and lower ball joints back on or car will not move not hard to do I did it I just put the 2.5 in mine from a 2015 with 16000 miles it runs better then it ever did I’m happy that I did this u need any help sent me a text cause a lot of people don’t help when u need it. But this is a fairly easy swap just time consuming to do. But so worth it I love it. Closest u will get to having a fast car with out adding turbo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts