Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Mazda 3 2.0 l
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I have a Mazda 3 that cranks but no start ....first it was starter so I replaced it, then i thought it was throttle sensor so I changed the whole unit, then my thermostat went out and my water pump so replaced, as well as my spark plugs and MAF sensor ....when I try to start my car I can hear sputtering ....can someone please help me with my car ...its been almost 3 months without my car

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
That's a whole bunch of seemingly unrelated systems. That tells me there is a possibility of a CANBUS problem somewhere.

What codes, including Mazda specific ones, is the car throwing?

·
Registered
2005 Mazda 3 2.0 l
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the thing its not throwing any codes.....someone said it could be my crankshaft sensor but not sure ....i can't afford an mechanic to come look at it so that's why I've come to the forum to see if anyone can help me

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could be a leaky injector flooding the engine? I had that problem with an old RX-7 all the time. I would pull the fuse to the fuel pump, crank it, then plug the fuse back in and jump in the car as fast as I could before fuel pressure built up. The 7's were notorious for that problem - not sure if applicable to the 3.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could be a leaky injector flooding the engine? I had that problem with an old RX-7 all the time. I would pull the fuse to the fuel pump, crank it, then plug the fuse back in and jump in the car as fast as I could before fuel pressure built up. The 7's were notorious for that problem - not sure if applicable to the 3.
Actually, now that I think about it, probably not this issue, because the 7 was a rotary and the fuel leak would clean the oil off the oil seals, reducing compresssion.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
You need an actual scan tool, with Mazda specific software installed. Most of the time only professional mechanics are seriously hardcore DIY'ers have that.

I'm pretty hardcore, and my scan tool is a Foxwell NT520 Pro. The new version is the NT530, about $150. But this is just a tool, it won't fix the car for you. It only gives you an idea of where to start looking for a fault. You need to really be serious about working on cars in order to justify this purchase.

·
Registered
275 Posts
if you are mechanically minded
try removing one spark plug and with coil still connected
ground plug against shiny metal and see if you have spark when cranking
repeat on remaining 3 cylinders
post back results
if you do this at night in unlit garage makes it easier to see spark

·
Registered
275 Posts
next try some aerostart or start ya bastard or whatever usa equivalent is
with a helper cranking the engine, spray this in where air filter would sit, towards throttle body
if you can start and keep running whilst spraying this will then confirm a fueling issue
takes a bit of practice to get the right amount, usually pulsing the spray, rather than holding full on works best

1 - 13 of 13 Posts