Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Mazda 3s w/ 197k miles

Noticed it faintly 3-4 weeks ago, but didn't think much of it. Past week its gotten louder to the point i can easily hear it when speeding up, though it seems to go away after driving for a bit (maybe 5-10 minutes). Its in the background a bit as i'm speeding up about halfway through, to me it sounds a bit like its sputtering/unsteady grinding. No CEL, only makes the sound when in gear and the idle sounds much rougher than it used to.

http://f.cl.ly/items/1y2F3O3T3p2j0l1e0v3W/Car.mp3

Any ideas what this might be?

Each time i speed up, its the noise you hear. I never used to hear that inside the car. Like as i'm speeding up, baaaa baaba ba ba baaaaaa ba ba baaaa (3 seconds into the recording, as well as 10 seconds in). Much much noise than usual, and it seems to sound like its got junk in its throat. Seems to me to be coming from the passenger side of the engine to my untrained ears inside the car.

Some additional audio recordings:

http://cl.ly/JwKL

00:02 - Start accelerating
00:04 - Noisy/Sputtery part of acceleration kicks in as i speed up
00:07 - Chunky engine sputtering sound
00:15 - Noisy/Sputtery acceleration
00:20 to 00:22 - Sputtering
00:26 - Speedbump

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im having the same issue, identical symptoms. Went on for a few weeks, then today it logged a code, p302 cyl 2 misfire. I'll be troubleshooting it this weekend. Ill let you know what I find, more than likely a similar failure.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
That second link when you start accelerating the second time sounds TERRIBLE!!
That's a serious knock to say the least.

Is it something in the engine or not? Have you checked your passenger motor mount to see if it is broken?

I could be wrong but it sounds way to loud to be rod knock.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Is it something in the engine or not? Have you checked your passenger motor mount to see if it is broken?
My money is on this one. It's under the battery. Mine looked like this and made sound like a tank. Asked dealers and service advisor also suggested to check this engine mount first. Seemed like pretty common on 3.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
The breaking of a trans mount?

I've never heard of it as being "common", certainly not like the passenger mount at least.

Yeah.. soft mounts go bad.. guess I've never heard of it that much, mine was still pretty darn good looking on the exterior after 85,000miles

·
Registered
23 Posts
Check the plugs. I was having the same issues awhile ago. Once it finally threw a misfire code I checked the plugs and saw that one was pretty busted and covered in carbon. Turned out the coil pack on top of it was bad. Once I replaced the coil and plugs everything was great!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there a way to tell if the motor mount is broken without taking it off?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same issue a few weeks ago in my 05 3s. Scary thing was if it went under 2k rmps it would die. Took it to the dealership and they said the transmission mount broke. 200bucks later you'll be fine

·
Registered
626 Posts
The tranny mount is not a hydraulic nor is it oil filled. You have to remove your whole battery case to visually inspect. Only the passenger mount is oil filled

·
Registered
1 Posts
This same identical sounding situation occurred with my 05 3S and it was all three of my motor mounts. They were all shot and needed replacing. Once I did that the car felt brand new and more stabilized when accelerating. Motor mounts on these cars go bad for some reason...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts