Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Mazda 3 with the 2.3 I have had bad motor after bad motor so I got one today from a running mazda3 it’s a 2011 2.0. I was told it was a 2.3 but upon arriving home and looking at it in light it’s a 2.0.What do I need to do to make this work I can see that the cps is different so I have to use my cover now I seen the intake is different but it’s really not cause the sensors are there just located on the side of engine. Only thing I see is the cps. I just want my car back I can even go get the pcm if need be Would I need the wire harness too? Please help I have so much time and money in this car now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have looked all over for a good 2.5 can’t find one looked for months everyone that has one it’s not running and i don’t have a cam that I would use two I have have came out of ones that locked up and I don’t trust that they not bent.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have to agree with all of the above. The 2.5 is just better in every way. I took a 30k mile 2.5 from a hybrid MKZ, cut reliefs in the pistons, used a cx7 intake and intake cam. Swapped over the timing cover and oil pan and what a difference! The power difference is very noticeable and I now have a truly reliable motor.
Sell that 2.0 and go for the 2.5.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Only difference is you have to use a a thicker head gasket or cut valve reliefs in the pistons. I cut reliefs in instead of doing the thicker gasket. I clayed each one and cut them while they were still in the block. Car is so much fun to drive now, its ridiculous.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The intake cam that is in the hybrid motor is designed to have a long separation in order for the valves to clear. It makes very little power but is very efficient. You have to swap out the intake cam to make power. Exhaust cam is the same. Therefore, you have to either change pistons or cut valve reliefs. I did a lot of research on these builds and clayed my pistons. With a .03 head gasket, I had to cut .175 reliefs. Oh, and I kept the vvt…

·
Registered
510 Posts
Interesting information, I think you're the first person I have ever seen mention any of this. Makes me wonder, if one simply left the hybrid motor basically as is timing and valve wise, what would the power output be and what would the mpg be compared to a more conventional swap to 2.5?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts