Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all. My car is a 2007 Mazda 3 with the 2.3L and a 5spd. I've got problems with my transmission (pops out of fifth) and I was quoted a hefty sum from my mechanic for the repairs (included replacing the clutch). I have a friend who I'd be confident swapping a transmission/engine with - so I'm hunting for one used.

I found a 2004 with the 2.3L and a 5spd manual transmission with 100k KMs on it. It's been in an accident so the front and rear are bent in a bit. The engine bay looks a little different to mine tho - and so I'm wondering if someone could tell me the differences between these two motors. If I were to grab the transmission from the 2004 would it bolt right up to my 2007?

Really since it's my transmission I'm mainly looking to replace - I'd like to know if it is a direct swap.

Other information I have that I'm not 100% on is that from an online VIN lookup it says my engine is the L3VE. On the side of my engine I see the Ford code FoMoCo L3A5.

Thanks and have a good day.
Top photo is the 2004 for sale. Bottom photo is my 2007.
Car Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design
Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
The transmission should be a direct bolt on affair. The engine has different timing cog on the back of the camshaft. Also the earlier engines had the oil dipstick go in the front of the oil pan instead of through the head/block into the oil pan. Read the threads on swapping 2.3 to 2.5 engines for differences between the various years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The transmission should be a direct bolt on affair. The engine has different timing cog on the back of the camshaft. Also the earlier engines had the oil dipstick go in the front of the oil pan instead of through the head/block into the oil pan. Read the threads on swapping 2.3 to 2.5 engines for differences between the various years.
I've got a 2006 Mazda 3 I paid cash for and purchased an extended warranty. It's great because for $100 they will fix almost everything. They pay for 3 oil changes a year and they pay part of all of my matinance. It's great.

2 Posts
Hi y'all. My car is a 2007 Mazda 3 with the 2.3L and a 5spd. I've got problems with my transmission (pops out of fifth) and I was quoted a hefty sum from my mechanic for the repairs (included replacing the clutch). I have a friend who I'd be confident swapping a transmission/engine with - so I'm hunting for one used.

I found a 2004 with the 2.3L and a 5spd manual transmission with 100k KMs on it. It's been in an accident so the front and rear are bent in a bit. The engine bay looks a little different to mine tho - and so I'm wondering if someone could tell me the differences between these two motors. If I were to grab the transmission from the 2004 would it bolt right up to my 2007?

Really since it's my transmission I'm mainly looking to replace - I'd like to know if it is a direct swap.

Other information I have that I'm not 100% on is that from an online VIN lookup it says my engine is the L3VE. On the side of my engine I see the Ford code FoMoCo L3A5.

Thanks and have a good day.
Top photo is the 2004 for sale. Bottom photo is my 2007.
View attachment 106534 View attachment 106536

·
Registered
460 Posts
Because you bought a crapy car and didn't have enough brainpower to get an extended warranty. 🤣😂
No because I bought the car when it was new and have kept it for fifteen years. I have both the money and the skills to fix anything that breaks on it for much less money than an extended warranty would cost. Buying an extended warranty, especially on a relatively inexpensive Japanese car, is statistically a good way to extract money from the purchaser’s pockets and into the pockets of the warranty company.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts