Mazda3 Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
… You can have good compression but and unacceptable amount leakage. ...
I haven't come across anything like that in my limited DIY travels, but certainly believe what you're saying there. Definitely good to know for future reference 👍

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The fact that he said there was a lot of air coming out of the oil fill is why it sounds like rings. There isn't really another way for that kind of thing to happen. The compression tests look good aside from that one cylinder which, while it tested good, is still down by more than an acceptable amount compaired to the others. A compression test doesn't tell everything either, You can have good compression but and unacceptable amount leakage. He really needs to do a leakdown test as well, I just didn't think to mention it when I made my original post.
Someone suggested maybe stuck oil control ring on cyl 4 with the lower compression, especially because it went so long without a service before i got it. Going to try a cpl of cheap fixes first that might help a little until i can afford to do more. Its actually decreased oil consumption by almost half now after driving a bit with the new pcv valve in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Someone suggested maybe stuck oil control ring on cyl 4 with the lower compression, especially because it went so long without a service before i got it. Going to try a cpl of cheap fixes first that might help a little until i can afford to do more. Its actually decreased oil consumption by almost half now after driving a bit with the new pcv valve in.
Going to pull the plug on cyl 4 and soak with injector cleaner, apparantly works well, then do a oil flush and put in new oil and filter.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Going to pull the plug on cyl 4 and soak with injector cleaner, apparantly works well, then do a oil flush and put in new oil and filter.
Try to use something designed to break up carbon that doesn't dry too fast. Marvel Mystery Oil is what I would use but I'm not sure if it's available where you live. Whatever you use, let it soak as long as you can, then crank the engine over with the spark plugs out to blow any excess out of the cylinders. Install the spark plugs and coils and start the engine. Then drive the crap out of it. It will smoke a lot when you do this but it's just the cleaner burning off so don't worry about it. I did this with Marvel Mystery Oil on my mother's Equinox (known for sticking rings) and the oil consumption stopped for about three months after the treatment. I need to do it again some time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Try to use something designed to break up carbon that doesn't dry too fast. Marvel Mystery Oil is what I would use but I'm not sure if it's available where you live. Whatever you use, let it soak as long as you can, then crank the engine over with the spark plugs out to blow any excess out of the cylinders. Install the spark plugs and coils and start the engine. Then drive the crap out of it. It will smoke a lot when you do this but it's just the cleaner burning off so don't worry about it. I did this with Marvel Mystery Oil on my mother's Equinox (know for sticking rings) and the oil consumption stopped for about three months after the treatment. I need to do it again some time.
I did read somewhere to mix it in with a bit of atf lol not sure bout that though

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I did read somewhere to mix it in with a bit of atf lol not sure bout that though
So today i finished doing everything, soaked the pistons, upper engine clean, oil flush and filter change. The oil was as black as diesel oil that has done 20000km. Having said that there was no metalic particles or anything like that which i was worried about. Seems to be running smoother and seems to have a bit more down low. Oil has been filled with gulf western semi syn 10w30.
Will be interesting to see if this has fixed the issue or at least helped.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So today i finished doing everything, soaked the pistons, upper engine clean, oil flush and filter change. The oil was as black as diesel oil that has done 20000km. Having said that there was no metalic particles or anything like that which i was worried about. Seems to be running smoother and seems to have a bit more down low. Oil has been filled with gulf western semi syn 10w30.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thats what the filter looked like after 3000km and had put an extra 10ish ltrs of oil in it to keep it topped up

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
200kM down so far so good, oil full and still clean as. Last time it took less than 50km to be black as

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I just did a compression test on the lower cylinder after 300km, sitting on a touchbover 180psi now, did notice it built up faster too. Has so much more power than what it did have and smoother running.

·
Registered
136 Posts
'Appreciate the updates -- I think many can benefit from this, due to insidious oil consumption of stuck and sludged rings. Would you clarify what mix/products you used for the piston soaking and "upper engine cleaning"? (Did you do something more than pouring something over the pistons? How much did you use each piston?)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
'Appreciate the updates -- I think many can benefit from this, due to insidious oil consumption of stuck and sludged rings. Would you clarify what mix/products you used for the piston soaking and "upper engine cleaning"? (Did you do something more than pouring something over the pistons? How much did you use each piston?)
1: i pulled all 4 plugs and dribbled a small amount of nulon injector cleaner into each plug hole and left to soak over night. I screwed the plugs back in loose just so nothing can get into the holes over night. The next morning i pulled the plugs and put some rag in the top of each hole and turned the engine over to blow the cleaner out. Then put plugs ect back in.

2: before starting up again i added Liqui-Moly Engine Flush Plus Oil Flush 300mL. Let it idle for 15min, (it will be a lil hard to start and idle shit cos of the injector cleaner.

3: while still running i used Nulon Pro-Strength Upper Engine Cleaner following the instructions and switched engine off for the hot soak. I didnt bother pulling the plugs again though.
I let it soak 5 or 10 min and started it again and sprayed the test of the can through the syste like the can states. I let it run a cpl of min after the can was empty then switched off.

4: i then dumped the oil and changed filter and refilled with new oil. While changing the oil i disconnected the battery so it can re learn the maps. It did play around a bit until everything was put of the system and relearned some maps.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I’m amazed that this actually worked. Hope time proves that it did. Keep posting updates from time to time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well after an extra 280km today and it drove better than it ever has, smooth all the way instant power when needed and averaged just under 7.5ltr - 100km sitting on about 110kmh most of the way however it has used oil still but not quiet as much about 700ml to 700km, it was double that before. Going go get a leakdown test dpne now im working

21 - 37 of 37 Posts