Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a sure way to tell if my 2004 Mazda 3 is a S or I package? My door panel never says anything specific. I read on yahoo answers that it has to do with the grill and fog lights. The engine never says whether its 2.3 or 2.0.

If it helps, my door panel has tire sizes that say:
P205/55R16
P205/50R17

I need to know because of the different wheel sizes that come with them. (I don't have stock wheels to tell if its the S or I).

Thanks!

· Registered
8,662 Posts
What is a sure way to tell if my 2004 Mazda 3 is a S or I package? My door panel never says anything specific. I read on yahoo answers that it has to do with the grill and fog lights. The engine never says whether its 2.3 or 2.0.

If it helps, my door panel has tire sizes that say:
P205/55R16
P205/50R17

I need to know because of the different wheel sizes that come with them. (I don't have stock wheels to tell if its the S or I).

Thanks!
Are you just trying to figure out your engine size, or what your stock wheel package was? There's some crossover between models, and depending on what your goal is it may not matter whether or not it's an S or I.

Either way, plug your VIN into carfax (you don't have to pay) and let it run. Before it asks you to pay, it'll come up with a screen telling you it found a record for your car, tell you the year make model submodel, ect. If that doesn't work, I'd suggest calling your local dealership and asking if they can assist. Again using the VIN, they should be able to find out which model you have.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you just trying to figure out your engine size, or what your stock wheel package was? There's some crossover between models, and depending on what your goal is it may not matter whether or not it's an S or I.

Either way, plug your VIN into carfax (you don't have to pay) and let it run. Before it asks you to pay, it'll come up with a screen telling you it found a record for your car, tell you the year make model submodel, ect. If that doesn't work, I'd suggest calling your local dealership and asking if they can assist. Again using the VIN, they should be able to find out which model you have.
Im just trying to figure out what my model is, if I can find out the engine size that will forever solve any doubts. I run into this problem a lot when I order parts online, not knowing what part to get. I might even have the wrong CV axle in my car right now, who knows. I bought this at the dealership I worked at and ran the carfax, it doesnt show any submodel.

· Registered
8,662 Posts
I'd say you could look at the oil filter housing to see if it's cartridge or spin on, but Hell that's not uncommon to change to the spin ons for 2.3 guys (did it on my car). Nuse is on the right track though, tell us everything about the car you know, and we can probably figure out what it is. Certain options only existed on one or the other.

· Registered
14,062 Posts
Yeah there are some telltale things, but without knowing .. anything except that it's a 2004 isn't really getting us anywhere lol.

The specifics get a little difficult unless you know exactly.

Does it not still have the window sticker? Because that will immediately tell you what it is.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Do you live in the US?

Is it a hatch?

Does it have power locks, windows, mirrors etc?

Have a picture of the car?

1. Yes
2. Sedan
3. Yes, Yes, Yes
4. Ill get it after work :)

More info:
It doesn't have a side airbag (which somebody said only S's have).

Checked VIN through Carfax again, here is what it comes up as:
Vehicle:2004 MAZDA MAZDA3S
VIN:JM1BK123X41111557
Also ran it through another VIN decoder and it said the same thing. Guess I have a S... whooo 8 more horsepower.

But my tail lights are not smoked, just have black housing btw.

· Registered
8,662 Posts
The difference between i and S go waaay further than that. The S is a million times nicer IMO
I'd say yes in most cases, but my wife has an 08 3i Touring that is really nice. White faced gauges, tan interior and dash (much cooler in the summer), sunroof, 6 cd changer. It made my 05 3s hatchback look downright spartan by comparison.

Now with my 07, I added some aftermarket goodies to 1up her.:chuckles:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.