Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just wondering if someone could help me out with some ECM issues I'm having.

Essentially, the problem started last summer when my doors wouldn't lock (either using the keyless fob or the buttons in the car). The doors would unlock fine, but I could not lock them (had to lock all four manually). The problem disappeared a few days after it started and came back in November. Same thing happened in November (problem disappeared). In January, the problem came back and has been there ever since.

Took the car to Mazda back in January, they said it's probably the ECM that's shot. They want 1300$ CAD for a replacement (ouch!!!). I took my car to my mechanic today and he basically confirmed what mazda said. He got the locks working by simply "tapping" the ECM, but also mentioned that it's pretty flakey. Since this morning, the locks are working fine, but the door ajar light stays lit and I don't believe the alarm gets activated anymore (I don't hear the horn sound when I lock the doors).

To me it sounds like an ECM ,but I'd like to get some feedback from the MZ3forum users. Also, I'd appreciate some suggestions as to how I can get this price lowered and what needs to be done to replace it (can my mechanic do it or does it have to be specially programmed by Mazda for it to work in my car?). I've seen some floating on ebay (none for an '04 2.3liter sedan) and I'm not even sure which part number I need. The prices are significantly lower (50-150$ CAD). I'm getting the impression that the 1300$ is severely inflated by Mazda.

Any help would be grand!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Re: 2004 (2.3l) - ECM problems, think I need a replacement

Wow, that price is steep. Is the ECM the same as the PCM?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the thing, I don't know.

I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than me would chime in on the issue. I don't think they are the same. To my knowledge, the ECM (sometimes called the ECU) is an Electronic Control Module (Unit) that has a bunch of relays for the various sensors and electronic equipment.

Even google searches isn't yielding any significant information regarding how I could replace it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just called mazda, I was wrong.. It most likely is the PCM (also called the ECM, ECU), main computer unit, small black box, etc.

They want 1764.26$ for it. Part number is L3Z118881 (which doesn't yield anything on Google)

I'm going to cry.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would search the junk yards, that price is high. Mazda may not install it if you do get it used. I dont know if its something you can just put in and it works or if it has to be flashed. Either way Mazda is probably going to screw you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
OUCH!!! That is very expensive. Be careful of a junk yard, you dont know if it works. Also, I know many junk yard dealers and none have any new mazda's especailly the 3 series. People tend to keep these cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts