Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now live in a very big city. Traffic is hard. Parking can be a PITA. Mass transit and ubers are easy(ier) for most needs. To save money, I park in a lot which limits me to taking my car out to 6 times per month (or there is a penalty). So though I still love my 2007 Mazda3, and it runs well, I am driving it a lot less. Weekends mostly.

Wondering if I can leave a Fram Oil Filter on the car for 2 years? I have used the new improved Fram filter (silicon ADBV) that was introduced a couple of years ago.

The total miles in 2 years, would easily be under 10,000. In the last 8 months for example, I have driven 2,700 total miles. When I do drive, I generally get on a freeway, so the car does get up to 60+ MPH regularly.

PS. Please don't say, "just change it" - because you're a gearhead.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what else would you like us to say,
it's your car.
if you dont want to spend the money, then dont
seems like cheap insurance to me
i assume you are changing your oil
I am hoping someone will reference personal experience. Or technical info they have seen.

Or some logic as to why there is a difference between 9000 miles in six months, versus 9000 miles in two years, in terms of the filter needing to be changed out.

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
There is absolutely nothing which suggests an oil filter cannot be kept on an engine for two years. That said, the oil is an issue. As a general rule, the following rules of thumb should be adhered to regarding time based oil change intervals:
  • Conventional oil should be replaced every 6 months, regardless of the mileage.
  • Most synthetic oils should be replaced every 12 months, regardless of the mileage.
  • Some of the higher end synthetics are approved by some vehicle manufacturers to up to 24 months. Since you have a 2007 Mazda3, off the top of my head, the only oil which might work well in your car for a 24 month OCI is Castrol Edge Extended Performance 0W-20.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks shipo. Unless someone comes along with some science indicating that oil physically breaks down the interior parts of the filter, what you posted makes sense. Especially now that the ADBV is silicon, and not rubber, not sure what would break down. Silicon is so much superior.

Your comments about changing the oil are appreciated. Its easy to do just the oil, much less messy than doing an oil+filter.

·
Super Moderator
1,231 Posts
Thanks shipo. Unless someone comes along with some science indicating that oil physically breaks down the interior parts of the filter, what you posted makes sense. Especially now that the ADBV is silicon, and not rubber, not sure what would break down. Silicon is so much superior.

Your comments about changing the oil are appreciated. Its easy to do just the oil, much less messy than doing an oil+filter.
Many cars, including all of the Honda/Acura products I've owned call for the filter to be changed every-other oil change. In your case I wouldn't worry about it given the mileage is so low.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts