Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the 2010 Mazda3 hatchback. It has the right physical size, a decent engine, and 6MT. I just have 2 questions:

(1) The front bumper (is it even a bumper?) does not look very substantial, and it looks like it would be very expensive to replace if it got damaged.

(2) I was looking at the interior pictures, and I see that there are silver colored vertical handles that grow out of the door armrests. What are these for? Especially on the driver's side, they appear to have no purpose, and I am wondering if they would get in the way.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Like most cars, it's a cover to the bumper. As it's brand new, I doubt replacement costs have been published. What looks so expensive about it?

The vertical handles are used to close the door. When I drove one on Sunday, I didn't even give it a second thought.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
What? I'm inclined to say you're trolling.

The bumper can't be that expensive to replace and the silver things are door pulls.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=MyZoom7 link=topic=138782.msg2991210#msg2991210 date=1236908504]
What? I'm inclined to say you're trolling.

The bumper can't be that expensive to replace and the silver things are door pulls.
[/quote]

I am not trolling. The 2010 '3 is one of my top choices. The Honda Fit is too buzzy on the highway, and the Toyota Matrix is a boat on wheels. Maybe the Subaru Impreza would work, but I don't need AWD and the associated 3 MPG gas millage penalty.

danielj - Thanks for the clarification on the bumper. I drive a very very old sedan and am not up to date on these things.

I was curious about the vertical handles because most cars don't have them. The old Mazda3 did not have them, nor does the new Mazda6. The only car I can recall that I have seen recently with them is the Honda CR-V.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
I found the interior to be very comfortable. When you sit in one, you'll better understand the design.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=danielj link=topic=138782.msg2991243#msg2991243 date=1236909392]
I found the interior to be very comfortable. When you sit in one, you'll better understand the design.
[/quote]

I'll probably check one out later this month. Good to hear that it is comfortable inside. I need a car that has a good balance of performance and comfort, and is not too big. Midsize sedans are pushing over 190" in length and 3300 lbs. That is too much. A '3 hatch is just about perfect in size and weight.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I think the current rubber-covered bumpers on modern cars are better than the easily dented vistigial bumpers on 70's era cars that got Congress fed up enough to pass the 5 mph bumper law. But not by much.

Reagan gutted the law every time he could get away with it, until we got down to a 2.5 mph requirement, with 5 mph optional. Even if 5 mph was a bit too much, 2.5 mph is a bit too low.

Furthermore, the one peice plastic is easily scratched, very expensive to repair. This is the cost of styling, everyone wants body colored bumpers supposedly.

I would prefer that there were more durable contact points in solid rubber, with no paint to scratch, and the bumpers were in left, right and middle sections so you could replace one damaged section instead of the whole thing.

I also don't like the way the bumper is firmly attached to the metal of the car transferring bending forces to the even yet more expensive metal. Bumpers should also stick out a little more from the side to handle a tap on the rear corner.

·
Registered
60 Posts
[quote author=atomiclightbulb link=topic=138782.msg2991181#msg2991181 date=1236907965]
I've been looking at the 2010 Mazda3 hatchback. It has the right physical size, a decent engine, and 6MT. I just have 2 questions:

(1) The front bumper (is it even a bumper?) does not look very substantial, and it looks like it would be very expensive to replace if it got damaged.

(2) I was looking at the interior pictures, and I see that there are silver colored vertical handles that grow out of the door armrests. What are these for? Especially on the driver's side, they appear to have no purpose, and I am wondering if they would get in the way.

Any thoughts?
[/quote]what?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts