Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did search, just didn't come up with an exact answer to my question. Just wondering if running 2 ohm's to a 4 ohm sub will have any adverse effects at all to the sub. What I've got it an MTX Terminator 250/1 Monoblock amp, and what I'm looking to get is a JL 15W0-4. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The onyl thing in your system that has ohms (resistance) is the sub itself. The amp will put out it's rated power into a given ohm load (your subwoofer). That amp in particular was designed with a 2 ohm load in mind (either two 4 ohm subs or a singel dual 4ohm voice coil sub). It will output around 250watts rms (i'm guessing) when connected to a 2 ohm load.

Hooking a 4ohm sub up in its place will not hurt anything at all, but since it is twice as difficult for electricity to flow through a 4 ohm sub as a 2 ohm sub (resistance) you will cut the power of the amp in half.

A lightweight dual voice coil sub might be a better choice, but usually most subs with DVC are slightly higher end models and may be underpowered with that amp. Since you're looking at running a 15" sub probably the best thing you can do is just get a bigger amp that will give you a lot more options.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The L5 is a nice sub, I used to sell a lot of them, but they do like a lot of power. I think the 10" sub is rated around 450 w rms. I used to sell the 10 with the MTX JH600 or 600XD amp all the time - was a great combo. The 12" can work with those amps or use even more power.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts