Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got over 5,100 miles on my new Mazda 3 in about 2 months. So my next oil change at 6,000 miles, I am switching to to Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic oil from the oem stuff the dealer put in the motor originally and then I already changed it at 3,000 miles to get rid of any metal shavings etc in the break in period.

So here's the main question for now, do I wait for a full aftermarket cat back system or just get a high-flow honey comb cat installed and a magnaflow exhaust 5x8x18 since the oem is about 5.5x6x19, and I don't want that much excessive noise, just a slight tone than what the oem exhaust is, that is why I am going with the 5x8x18 instead if the 5x8x14. And of course I do want a CAI, but I will wait for that, or maybe I'll just get a K & N drop in, who knows, 50 vs 200 sounds alot better for the K & N. In my past experiences, the CAI vs K & N drop in wasn't too much of difference.

But hey what do you all think???? Any comments or suggestions would be great, since today is 02/25/04, I might go tommorrow the 26th to get the magnaflow etc in am. So please send suggestions comments etc.

Thanks to all.

Peace.
Los.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
first of all...haha hwere have you been! cali mazda...you've had your car for so long and you havent told us californians ;) haha...i would just wait and save up money for a full catback...that way you'll have more money to splurge..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey, I am getting my magnaflow exhaust installed today. This guy I know has a 3, and just got it installed yesterday with a 5x8x18 muffler, 2 1/4 pipes, resonator removed, and 4" tip. I am getting almost the exact same setup, but might decide on a different tip than he has for the exhaust. I heard his car last night and drove around the block and I def. noticed a substancial rise in low-end torque. Im so excited. Im getting everything installed for about 200-210, negotiable, but for the great installation job I heard about from this guy by the company that installed everything from magnaflow, I think this is a great buy.

Hopefully I can make a video of how it sounds, but there is already a video of the 3 on the magnaflow site.

- :smokin:

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
MazdaTrie said:
resignator removed, and 4" tip. - :smokin:
I hope they remove the resonator instead of resignator because you don't have a resignator :lol:

I would keep the resonator or replace it but that's just me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
haha, just noticed that, I was watching tv and got distracted. Shows why u should preview what u write before you send it, and I believe the sound is better with it off.

·
Registered
971 Posts
You are getting a custom kit done right? Magnaflow said there catback is almost finished in the production stage. It will be about 2-4 weeks before it's done. Also if your not getting a stainless steel, mandrel bent system it will be a waste of time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Actually, they just order the parts straight from the Santa Marguarita Magnaflow facilitly in Orange County because the shop Im getting it done at is so close to Magnaflow down here. Everything is available already over phone order, its just not updated on the website yet. No custom setup.

·
Registered
209 Posts
No commentss about the CAI or exhausts.

However - you want to stick with the recommended weights of oil : 5W20 (or, if you're going synth, 0W20 is fine). 5W30 has been shown to increase wear and reduce mileage. And (this may be more of a placebo effect) reduce the rate at which the revs climb.

The "oem stuff the dealer put in the motor originally" is the excellent Motorcraft semisynthetic 5W20 (hmm - unless the base fill in the 3 is different from that in the 6!). If that is indeed the stock oil, it is VERY good as well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hmm - this is odd ... the source (of course!) is Mazda6Tech

The UOAs we have collected are summarised here, with BobIsTheOilGuy discussion links where available.

And my recommendation (to avoid 30 weight) was based off my memory of the results of the 5W30 synthetic UOAs on a 6s in Philly (the V6 Duratech, not our I4 Duratech).

But in the interim, a new UOA of 5W30, dino oil has been posted for the 6i engine, with lots of miles - with stunningly good wear numbers! Bear in mind the non-standard driving characteristics of this particular vehicle - possibly 90%+ highway driving, long trips on the East Coast (I know this person).

And take a gander at the recommended next OCI from Blackstone Labs - 9000 frikkin' miles! For comparison, the winterUOA link is mine, on my 6i - I ran M1 SS 0W20 for 5.5K and they recommended I definitely up the interval to 6K or more.

WOW! Discuss ... new thread? I know I'm going to raise this at 6tech - I'll link the discussion here!

<edit> corrected/added links

·
Registered
218 Posts
MazdaTrie said:
Hey, I am getting my magnaflow exhaust installed today. This guy I know has a 3, and just got it installed yesterday with a 5x8x18 muffler, 2 1/4 pipes, resonator removed, and 4" tip. I am getting almost the exact same setup, but might decide on a different tip than he has for the exhaust. I heard his car last night and drove around the block and I def. noticed a substancial rise in low-end torque. Im so excited. Im getting everything installed for about 200-210, negotiable, but for the great installation job I heard about from this guy by the company that installed everything from magnaflow, I think this is a great buy.

What's the name of the shop you're having this done at? OC's not too far from me, and it sounds like you're getting a good deal....

·
Registered
209 Posts
ryanazarko said:
what about using 0W-30 fully synthetic? better or worse?
Further discussion with some others has provided more info - off these 7xxx miles on that excellent UOA, over 7K were likely long-trip highway miles. And the engine is pretty much fully worn in now. Must be a Wednesday engine.

I'm going to stick with 0W20 M1 SuperSyn for the foreseeable future, with 6K-ish OCIs, to reflect my use patterns for the car. I'm skipping my next UOA - and will do the subsequent one almost 11K miles later.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hahaha, just got it....very happy. Sounds amazing. Its far from what u hear on civics. The grone is deep and the noise is just fine. For where I got it at; Awesome Performance Exhausts in a city called Rancho Santa Marguerita right off antonio. Hard to find, but the job was perfectly done and the guy didnt take long at all.

The tip fits the back exhaust area perfectly. The magnaflow sig. on the tip was a nice touch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just got this email back from magnaflow:

We are making a kit for this vehicle. However we are running a little
behind on production so you could expect to see this kit in about 30
days. Thanks for your interest in Magnaflow.

·
Registered
47 Posts
so what are u saying........

:smokin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts