Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired an old amp from a very nice brother... its a MTX blue thunder PRO1502 thats 75W x 2 @ 4ohms... No speaker level inputs on this so I assume i need a line output converter for the stock head unit... My question is this: can I use this amp to power all four speakers?

I plan on getting infinity components up front and infinity coaxials in back... I just want to know if this amp can work for this application, I'm not really concerned as to losing the ability to fade between the front and back...

Thanks all... :p

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Nope, is right.

If you were going with coax front and back, it would be ok to run the amp in 2ohm with the gains turned down a bit. But since one is component and one is coax, you wont have enough power.

Besides, you want to be able to adjust crossover frequency on the components. The coaxs need a higher frequency.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vaBooM said:
Nope, is right.

If you were going with coax front and back, it would be ok to run the amp in 2ohm with the gains turned down a bit. But since one is component and one is coax, you wont have enough power.

Besides, you want to be able to adjust crossover frequency on the components. The coaxs need a higher frequency.
Okay then, if I were to buy just 2 sets of coaxs (trying to do this on a budget :D ) then how would i go about wiring them in 2ohm?

I appreciate the info...

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
4ch amps arent very expensive. But if you cant afford it then..

Wire the Left front with the Left rear. And the right front with the right rear. Both speaker sets must be the same resistance, and if they are both 4ohm, they become 2ohm when parallelled. Now this does make the amp work harder, essentially making it heat up faster.

As long as the gains are pretty low, you shouldnt experience much problems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
vaBooM said:
Nope, is right.

You can't say that that amp won't have enough power for a pair components. Components are usually more efficient than your average coax, usually in the 92-94db/w range. So if there is not enough power it wouldn't be because of the components but the coax's. And you also don't want to run the crossover on the amp when running components, becuase components already have a factory crossover set to the best possible crossover points. Crossovers also degrade the signal so by running two of them, you not getting the best possible sound. I would say that he could wire 4 pairs of speakers in parallel on that 2 channel amp. Just make sure the amp is 2 ohm stereo stable, because not all can dissipate the heat efficiently enough.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Instead of hooking up all 4 speakers to the amp, why don't you just amp the componants and use the stock amp for powering the rears?

That is the best solution in your case. Infact, the rears arn't really even needed...unless you regularly carry passengers. But honestly, you don't really want to have the rears NEARLY as loud as the fronts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts