Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I have a 2.3l swapped BK Maxx Sport, and I plan on sticking an mps turbo on it. (plz don't reply with jUsT GEt aN MpS. I'm aware of the advantages to that, I just prefer to build a car than buy one.) How much boost can the stock l3 handle?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Better question is how long will the garbage 2.3 last? It’s a failure prone engine even normally aspirated so adding a DIY turbo may have you soon searching for a new engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a good engine. I know some are prone to issues at like 100000k, but when you pass that, and there are no issues, you generally have a good engine.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hope your luck persists. Ours basically screwed the pooch at around 200,000 and we swapped it out for the far better Ford Fusion 2.5 block. We're also in the process of doing this in a trashed 2.3 Speed 6 we recently acquired. More power, more durable, and far cheaper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys! I have a 2.3l swapped BK Maxx Sport, and I plan on sticking an mps turbo on it. (plz don't reply with jUsT GEt aN MpS. I'm aware of the advantages to that, I just prefer to build a car than buy one.) How much boost can the stock l3 handle?
Hey 👋🏽, I’m currently parting my 2.3l out due to a rod knock in the motor and someone cutting me off to allow that to happen . If you need any parts let me know ! Message me on discord or reply to me on here for more information 👍

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hey 👋🏽, I’m currently parting my 2.3l out due to a rod knock in the motor and someone cutting me off to allow that to happen . If you need any parts let me know ! Message me on discord or reply to me on here for more information 👍
Wow no another trashed garbage 2.3. What a shock. Anyway, since he isn’t in the US have fun shipping heavy parts overseas.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Because just stating the facts. The 2.3 is a very failure prone engine that Mazda thankfully discontinued in favor of the far better 2.5. Just spreading the word so more people know this and can avoid the expensive lesson of a failed 2.3 when a better and cheaper option is readily available.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Stock you're safe with 7 lbs... Build the motor and you're good for usually 16-18 depending on choices of quality and the wear and tear on the build. I'm rarely here any more but there used to be an entire forced induction section that we had a ton of write ups and sticky threads in. I'd recommend checking for the two large Facebook groups if you need serious opinions and you truly want to spend the cash and time to build one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Follow up question: Should I a) use an mps ecu b) get an aftermarket ecu c) Can I just get a chip onto my stock ecu?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts