Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's just hope they stay at the targeted numbers of 160hp. Last thing we need is the HP debacle a la RX8. Given the RX8 is a new Rotary Engine. 160 HP is just perfect.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
no no no we need 300 hp!! HAHAHA.....man our cars would FLY

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
You mean the Mazda3 2.3 L engine came from the MZ6, not M6. I believe there was an M6 already, and the 6 is not it. :)

·
Registered
984 Posts
csweeney said:
You mean the Mazda3 2.3 L engine came from the MZ6, not M6. I believe there was an M6 already, and the 6 is not it. :)
Actually it's just a "6". But I've seen M3, MZ3, Mazda3, Mazda6, M6, MZ6, and I'm sure ppl have come up with more.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
schulkw said:
csweeney said:
Actually it's just a "6". But I've seen M3, MZ3, Mazda3, Mazda6, M6, MZ6, and I'm sure ppl have come up with more.
heh. My dealer writes MZ6 on everything. That's what was on my keys too when I got em. But, wasn't there an M6 already? I know somebody thought that that was what I got. :?

·
Registered
984 Posts
csweeney said:
schulkw said:
csweeney said:
heh. My dealer writes MZ6 on everything. That's what was on my keys too when I got em. But, wasn't there an M6 already? I know somebody thought that that was what I got. :?
BMW puts M's in front of some. It's like their "mazdaspeed" version, only its not MazdaSpeed. Their new SUV is called "X3" and the new Grand Am is gonna be called G6.

·
Registered
172 Posts
neomonkey said:
Let's just hope they stay at the targeted numbers of 160hp. Last thing we need is the HP debacle a la RX8. Given the RX8 is a new Rotary Engine. 160 HP is just perfect.
You do know dyno tests are going to be nowhere near 160 HP. For 2.3L auto, considering 28% drivetrain loss as MZ6, it should get about 115 HP to the wheels. The 5 speed should get about 130 HP at the wheels, again taking 19-20% or drivetrain loss.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
The ATs suck so much power, it's unbelievable!

That's why i can't wait to get a manual - finally, after so many years of wanting one. That's why the 2.0 wil be fine for me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
How much drivetrain loss did the Protegé5 have ?

And is it confirmed that the 3 has a 28% drivetrain loss on the SportAT?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Whatever the dyno says, a number is just that, a number. What matters is how it feels when you drive it, and to me it feels real good.

I've test driven the 6i, Pro5 and the 3s HB, all with SportAT and the 3 is easily the quickest of the bunch, followed by the Pro5 and the 6i

So if I take my 3s HB to a Dyno, and it tells me it has 130 HP, I don't care, I know I can smoke those civics and corollas :D ... well at leas the stock ones :wink:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I concur that there will be no worries with downgrading the HP rating of the 2.3L engine. It come straight from the 6. I'm not sure what 6 owners were dynoing their AT 6i's at, but 28% sounds a little high to me, even for an AT, I'd say 20-25%.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The dynos for a stock 5 speed 2.3L Mazda6 are right around 130, just as MZ6 has stated.. ours dynoed at 128hp when it had only 2000 miles on it or so. Now we have it up to 146whp with just an intake installed. More power to come later with exhaust and header! :)

Nikolas

·
Registered
106 Posts
DuratecPerformance said:
Now we have it up to 146whp with just an intake installed. More power to come later with exhaust and header! :)
Nikolas
For real!? Just an intake and you got that much more power at the wheels?

Where can I find out more info on the product used?

Your website does not seem to be up.

Darren.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
DP is having some web issues right now. Nikolas's new website will be up soon. I'll let him tell you more, as I don't know the details. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nikolas I believe speculated that the original dyno was done a little early i the break in period and some of the extra hp was gained from the engine being properly broken in. The two dynos, baseline and with intake weren't done the same day, infact a few months or so apart if I remember correctly, but thats not really important when you're getting 146 whether it come from 128 or 135, still an impressive gain, one you'll feel in the butt dyno for sure.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts