Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it has been on the 6 for some time now, I was wondering if anyone knew of any problems. I've read that the engine sometimes comes on when revving. But the CEL is a popular problem with mazdas..

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
It's a gas cap issue - MUST tighten it till it clicks a few times. Was quite common when the 6 came out but I haven't read about it in the last few months.

·
Registered
984 Posts
3 clicks will prevent it from coming on.

·
Registered
396 Posts
i'm sorry guys, i'm a newbie
what do you mean by: "3 clicks will prevent it from coming on"
what comes on???

·
Registered
147 Posts
I believe they are talking about the indicator light for the mazda6 that came on for no reason. This was caused by not tightening the gas cap enough. When you tighten gas cap you hear clicks....so 3 clicks.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Yep that happen to me. I went to the dealer and told them that my CEL was on. The tech went over and just tighten the gas cap until it click a couple of times. CEL went off 10min later.

·
Registered
984 Posts
The Check Engine Light comes on b/c it's very sensitive to everything little thing. How it knows you didn't click the gas cap three times, I don't know, but it does.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
The only CEL I've ever experienced is from a cyl 6 misfire... but as you can tell from that, that's on the V6. The oxygen sensor CEL is indeed quite popular, due to the gas cap not being tight enough. While it is nothing bad, it is a bit obnoxious since the dealer must reset it. I've never heard of anything actually BAD happening with the engine though.

·
Registered
101 Posts
schulkw said:
The Check Engine Light comes on b/c it's very sensitive to everything little thing. How it knows you didn't click the gas cap three times, I don't know, but it does.
Do you want to know?
Why and how? :?:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Follow you? Look at the joined dates homeboy...you're stalking me.

IF you actually get around to writing it up, have mz6zz sticky the cel thing, so when everyone and there brother asks why we can say REad the Freaking FAQ's and act all high and mighty ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
OBD II Emission CELs

Ok Gruss, Just for you and your little helper. I had one of those. I just walked her down the 50 yard line at Homecoming. Take lots of pics.

When the OBD II mandates hit the manufactures in the mid-ninties one of the monitored functions was to check the integrity of the "evaporative emission control system". The check is based on the theory that many cars where letting fuel evaporate due to loose or missing fuel caps, and the evaporating fuel was damaging the ozone layer.

Since 1994 most manufacturers have used the VBE or "vacuum based evap" check that requires the vehicle to be at normal operating temp and the car be in"cruise mode". This systems parameters caused a concern with the EPA. Some cars never get full warm up and some cars never get to "cruise mode". VBE used vacuum, which is a by-product of gasoline engines. After the vehicle parameters are met (if ever) the the PCM commands a valve to open and allow the fuel tank to evacuated. A sensor in the tank picks up the vacuum signal and the PCM sets an internal timer. When the PCM re-checks the sensor after a given amount of time and the vacuum is gone the system flags a loose gas cap code PO442/456 for a small leak or a PO455 for a large leak.

Coffee time...(this should count for like five posts)

Now for the latest and greatest.

Mazda has been tasked from the Ford family to pioneer the PBE or "Pressure Based Evap" system.The newest requirement is to monitor leaks smaller than .020 inch. The system is a self contained system first used on the 02 MPV but used on every Mz6. A Small(6"x6") module is mounted near the fuel tank of the vehicle. Each module contains a small pump and a COV(Change over valve). The COV is a three way valve. Position 1) is vented to atmosphere. Position 2) is a .020 orifice. Position 3)is to the fuel tank.

Every time the vehicle is turned off the PCM commands the pump to run. the PCM monitors the amperage in the curcuit and take this as a "base line" reading. The PCM them commands the COV to move to the .020 orifice position and the amperage in the system is evaluated and the two readings are stored. The COV is then commanded to send pressure to the fuel tank..the Pcm then times how long it takes to go from the "no load " reading to the "full load" reading (.020) and if the specified time is exceeded a code is set.

Wow. Lotsa tech here. I'm not making this up.

The system on the Mz6 had two problems initally. 1)If the owner was filling the vehicle with fuel and the test was running...PO455 large leak.
2) If the owner used the remote to lock the doors while the test was running, the door lock motors caused a drain on the battery and the time for the test never made the specified time.

The re-flash on the Mz6 tells the PCM to ignore failed test unless it is failed more than twice.

Thats all I got to say about that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ok now, who is my little helper? MZ6ZZ...Ha! Hey c'mon now zoomie get off your but and put this where it belongs!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts