Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2.3L is smoothest 4 cylinder engine I have ever driven. It feels like there is more torque than the specs suggest. There are faster 4 cylinder engines out there, but most of them feel surgy especially if they're using turbo.

I think this engine has alot of tweaking potential, but I'm not sure if I'd be willing to alter the driving characteristics for more power.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
actually i would want some more low end torque as with a few other members here....but you're definately right very smooooth =)....and to me its really quiet heck i forgot my car was on a couple times, coming from a screaming corolla...

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
It has alot of potential. Just wait till parts start coming out. Or you can check out the Ford Focus 2.3L. I made a post already about the gains from bolt ons.

AzMz3

·
Registered
396 Posts
yeah, as mentioned....i'd like more low end torque as well

what kind of gains do you guys think can be gained with just bolt ons???

·
Registered
432 Posts
6_funk said:

I think CAI is one of the cheapest way to get low end torque.

Header and Exhaust will kill low end power on the other hand.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
2k1_bug said:
6_funk said:

I think CAI is one of the cheapest way to get low end torque.

Header and Exhaust will kill low end power on the other hand.
I changed my stuck exhaust line and it feels more peppy...worst case scenarion it didn't diminish it...that I'm sure.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
6_funk said:

They should be similar to what the Focus can do which is 32HP &21TQ, thats with a race header, full exhaust, cai, udp, and throttle body. I don't know much about the VVT if it will be a plus or minus for performance.

AzMz3

·
Registered
310 Posts
Is there ever a time when someone doesn't want more low-end torque?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Ok, so I've edited the thread title since you originally just stated "2.3 engine" to correspond with what you asked me.

Hope this makes ppl happy.

·
Registered
396 Posts
n1smo said:
6_funk said:

Are you auto or manual? The torque is ok on my car.

Most bolt ons will result in less low end torque.
i have manual

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Cold air intakes will kill a little on low end as well as exhaust. The ram effect for cold air intakes dont happen until almost 60mph. Opening up the exhaust will mean less backpressure.

With those mods, the way people raise or lower the powerband is with cams and cam gears. Its only a matter of time before someone will make regrind or billet camshafts and gears.

·
Registered
86 Posts
vaBooM said:
Cold air intakes will kill a little on low end as well as exhaust. The ram effect for cold air intakes dont happen until almost 60mph. Opening up the exhaust will mean less backpressure.

With those mods, the way people raise or lower the powerband is with cams and cam gears. Its only a matter of time before someone will make regrind or billet camshafts and gears.
Backpressure is always bad. A restrictive exhaust will not increase tq. That is a myth...... a header with too big of primaries might have scavenging affects tha move the powerband up or down some. It is not about backpressure. Backpressure bad period.

·
Registered
164 Posts
gtgray said:
Backpressure is always bad. A restrictive exhaust will not increase tq. That is a myth...... a header with too big of primaries might have scavenging affects tha move the powerband up or down some. It is not about backpressure. Backpressure bad period.
you sure about that?
you sound pretty confident, but i have to disagree.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
NASTY said:
gtgray said:
you sure about that?
you sound pretty confident, but i have to disagree.
Ditto, backpressure will keep the torque band as it is now. Going with a larger exhaust till create less backpressure so the engine actually has to work harder to close the exhaust valve. A bigger exhaust will cause the torque band to come in much later. When the engine revs up above 4500, thats where it will take advantage of an unrestricted exhaust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Backpressue doesn't make the torque....keeping the flow velocity up does. Increasing the exhaust diameter typically reduces the flow velocity. The best exhaust would have minimum backpressue (larger radii bends, not abrupt section changes etc) but maintain proper gas velocity for the installed cam, valves, intake, comp ratio etc etc

1 - 20 of 32 Posts