Mazda3 Forums banner

2.3 to 2.5 swap

5K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  t0p_sh0tta 
#1 ·
Is anyone interested in a 2.5 swap into their exsisting 2.3?
I am looking for someone who would be willing to try.

#6 ·
Would you want stock/low/high compression ranger crank/ or stock right now I am looking for interest.

I may start making upgrades but I wanna do more than a handfull.

They would be hand assembled and shipped to you door as a shortblock.

#7 ·
[quote author=ekanddsm link=topic=139045.msg2998179#msg2998179 date=1237241595]
Would you want stock/low/high compression ranger crank/ or stock right now I am looking for interest.

I may start making upgrades but I wanna do more than a handfull.

They would be hand assembled and shipped to you door as a shortblock.
[/quote]
And it's free? Will it work with a Mazdaspeed3?

#8 ·
FREE???
What are you a previous Focus owner.

When someone ask's for free, that usually means you don't have money to begin with.

I havent worked out pricing yet, But I would like to see if someone was interested in trying it out on their car.

And no, it won't work for the disi engine, that engine has different specs.

#11 ·
Well it will be on display at MazdaFest in May at CALIFORNIA Speedway.

You know some people get pretty tough with a keyboard.

The benefit of the added displacement on the the original 2.3 head will give better cylinder filling, better torque, and make more power from your exisiting mods.
But still leaves the room for forced induction. So later on, you could run some boost like a Speed3, but make way more power.

I am targeting a 300hp, 280 torque with low boost=(less than 10psi) with this bottom end.

The speed3 engine has a different crank,rods, and pistons. Thats why it won't work.
We have tried various engine combos in 3's. Here is a new one to try. If nobody wants one, then we won't do it.
It was purely interest, like the supercharger we are doing as well.

#13 ·
[quote author=gustavo link=topic=139045.msg3012391#msg3012391 date=1237844878]
i would try it, but instead of the 2.3 from a 2.0, to a 2.5 hehehe..
[/quote]

Is the 2.5 gonna fit ?
Also you would probably have to wait abit longer for the aftermarket parts for the engine
Where as the 3mps engine has all the aftermarket parts ready and available

#14 ·
IM deff down if the price is right, pm me. What half you ppl are missing, is that you can only run so much boost or compression untill you hit a wall, Its just as much about displacement, but my question is why not just bore or stroke our 2.3s over to 2.5s?

#15 ·
However, you gotta admit the opening statement and the responses don't warrant anyones initial interest. Sure it sounds like a great idea, but so did millions of ideas that went to shit because it wasn't presented right especially from one who nobody seemed to know off the bat.

I believe the 2.5 would have no problem fitting in our current gens because what's under the hood of those 2.5's now doesn't seem any different to the naked eye. Now the real question is if a 2.5 and turbo setup would fit comfrotably, which seems to be the idea throwing around here.

If you wanna try it out, my recommendation would be to find a junked mazda 3 s (maybe one with a ceased engine, but good otherwise) and see how it works out. That way you have something to present to the Forum community, and the interest turns to WANT.

#16 ·
i reiterate, why not just bore or stroke or both??? ekanddsm is there something about the 2.5 that makes it more worth it over boring, or cheaper yet, stroking our 2.3s?

#17 ·
[quote author=3driverPA link=topic=139045.msg3028536#msg3028536 date=1238469735]
i reiterate, why not just bore or stroke or both??? ekanddsm is there something about the 2.5 that makes it more worth it over boring, or cheaper yet, stroking our 2.3s?
[/quote]Agreed. This seems very unnecessary, as there are other paths of less resistance. Rebuilding the current motor would also give you a chance to use better parts (forged pistons, rods, etc) in the process. You would end up with a 2.5 that's capable of things the 2nd gen 2.5 can't do. I'm not saying don't do it, just asking why.

#18 ·
I just cleaned all the crap out of this thread..... sadly it was longer than what remained. Please everyone keep the arguing and name calling out of it.

To the OP it would help everyone out if you could more fully outline exactly what you're looking for in the OP of the thread, i.e.
-theoretical monetary commitment (will there be a discount for testing?)
-location of person
-theoretical specs of engine (forged internals?)
-etc, etc.

There seem to be some people who are interested in the idea but they want to hear what they'd be getting, and why doing this is a benefit to them. Also be advised if you're going to be building parts to sell on the forums you'll need to talk with the forum admins about becoming a sponsor.

#21 ·
[quote author=kas79 link=topic=139045.msg3178396#msg3178396 date=1245046861]
Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just swap a DISI?
[/quote]

What does one go for, and where can you find them?

FWIW, I agree with the others who opt to build their block. Why not just offer a stroker kit? Depending on your performance goals, more torque is not always better in a FWD vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.