Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have done numerous searches through this site to try any information but was unable to do so. My question is would it be possible to swap a VVT 2.3 engine into my 04 3i (non VVT 2.0).

My main items of concern:
1. ECU - i would assume this would have to be swapped out with the engine as the fuel and ignition maps are going to be different between the two cars, not to mention the ability to control VVT
2. Additional Sensors - aside from the VVT wiring up are there any other differences in sensors between the two engines

·
Registered
191 Posts
I can't really say much with regards to the process for doing this, but why not just go FI or something? If I'm not mistaken, the 2.3 is just a stroked 2.0, with a few extra bits thrown on. The difference in numbers does not seem to justify the difficulty and expense.

However, we all have our reasons...best of luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the way im looking at it is once this car dies i will turn it into a SCCA race car, right now they have spec listed for the 2.3 engine only, thus needing the 2.3 engine without a power adder.

also i would like to stay away from going turbo as i want to keep this as a good running daily driver, i have a 89 crx running 14lbs for turbo fun :p

this may not be the most effective upgrade right now, but once these cars start showing up in junkyards the prices will come down.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I would go a different way.

I would do a built 2.3 or 2.5 and swap a ford ecu in and get the ford ecu tuned for far less then a mazda3 ecu change.

That would make a crazy setup. Plus the factory ford ecu is a cheaper standalone, you could turn off the pats system. the one poroblem you would get is no cluster functions. But thats where to dashawk would work in its place.

Then you could run the engine up higher than 7k fuel cut.

2.3 or 2.5 would drop right in and reuse same clutch, trans, mounts fuel lines, etc.

The 2.3 intake mani is better than the 2.0, so get that with the new engine.

I have seen a 2.3 in a focus race car turn 14,000 rpms and do close to 300 hp all motor.

That car sounded beautiful.......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=revhigh link=topic=139556.msg3012072#msg3012072 date=1237837979]
your gonna have one slow ass race car.....
[/quote]

its not a drag race, your limited to the amount of engine modifications you can make and the amount of weight you carry in order to keep it competitive with other cars in your class. I wouldn't be racing against a Porsche GT3, but an Acura Integra, VW Jetta, Honda Civic...etc

·
Registered
191 Posts
Have you ruled out selling yours and buying one with a 2.3? It just seems the easier way.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd just turbo the 2.0, aren't they more turbo-friendly anyway? Better ratio?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
SCCA is engine family not vehicle manufactuer.

Remember that these 2.0, 2.3, 2.5 are duratec engines sold to ford for use.

Thats how hondas get acura engine into the class and get away with it.

if the displacement is available in your car for your year it shouldnt matter which car it was originally sold in, ford/mercury/mazda....

Check the rules, but I have heard of people talking their way around it at tech inspection.

And the ford ecu I talk of 104 pin eec-v was available in 03/04/05 mazda6

so you could tune with that and sct

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote author=angryRotarian link=topic=139556.msg3013726#msg3013726 date=1237902000]
Have you ruled out selling yours and buying one with a 2.3? It just seems the easier way.
[/quote]

I had thought about doing that but i got a good deal on the car i got now and i had thought the engine swap would be something moderately easy

[quote author=Antimatter85 link=topic=139556.msg3013817#msg3013817 date=1237904637]
I'd just turbo the 2.0, aren't they more turbo-friendly anyway? Better ratio?
[/quote]

again i cant go FI, it has to be a limited prep NA engine

[quote author=ekanddsm link=topic=139556.msg3013909#msg3013909 date=1237907616]
SCCA is engine family not vehicle manufactuer.

Remember that these 2.0, 2.3, 2.5 are duratec engines sold to ford for use.

Thats how hondas get acura engine into the class and get away with it.

if the displacement is available in your car for your year it shouldnt matter which car it was originally sold in, ford/mercury/mazda....

Check the rules, but I have heard of people talking their way around it at tech inspection.

And the ford ecu I talk of 104 pin eec-v was available in 03/04/05 mazda6

so you could tune with that and sct
[/quote]

unfortunately in Club Racing Improved Touring the rules state:
"To maintain the stock basis of Improved Touring, updating and/or back-dating of components is only permitted within cars of the same make, model, body type (e.g., sedan, station wagon, convertible, etc.), and engine size as listed on a single Improved Touring Specification Line."

as of right now the Mazda 3 isn't listed as a car allowed in IT since it is still somewhat new, but it might be added to list as early as next year once the newer Mazda 3 comes out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
[quote author=silverkorn link=topic=139556.msg3008568#msg3008568 date=1237655205]
i have done numerous searches through this site to try any information but was unable to do so. My question is would it be possible to swap a VVT 2.3 engine into my 04 3i (non VVT 2.0).

My main items of concern:
1. ECU - i would assume this would have to be swapped out with the engine as the fuel and ignition maps are going to be different between the two cars, not to mention the ability to control VVT
2. Additional Sensors - aside from the VVT wiring up are there any other differences in sensors between the two engines
[/quote] I had experience to changed engine 2.0L,ATX to 2.3L,ATX had used 2.0L ECU, wiring, Inlet camp, inlet camp sensor and remove VVT, engine can running well but It had transmission problem, changed to heigher gear (3,4) in low velosity( 20-30 KMH), need more kick down to increase vel. It's bad when drive in city. Now I had changed ECU(USA model 2004), Wiring 2.3L, Cosworth Camp, Camp sensor, cank sensor and throttle body drive by wire( It can not run with throttle body drive by cable). Who has any adviced to use Cosworth Throttle body drive by cable with ECU( drive by wire). Very sory bad in langage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.