Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read on one of the threads that the engine was constructed in Mexico. Can anyone confirm this?? If it is, I am hesitatnt to put down money for this car. Is this just a rumour or facT?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
WHOA...
yeah, someone please verify!!!

I don't mind if the cigarette lighter or the nuts and bolts or something was made in Mexico... but the engine??

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Got some info off Mazda6club!

Here's the info from the window sticker of my 6i Sport AT:

PARTS CONTENT INFORMATION:

FOR VEHICLES IN THIS CARLINE:
U.S./CANADIAN PARTS CONTENT: 53%
MAJOR SOURCES OF FOREIGN PARTS CONTENT:
JAPAN: 28% MEXICO: 16%
FOR THIS VEHICLE:
FINAL ASSEMBLY POINT: FLAT ROCK, MI, USA
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:
ENGINE: MEXICO
TRANSMISSION: JAPAN
NOTE: PARTS CONTENT DOES NOT INCLUDE FINAL ASSEMBLY,
DISTRIBUTION, OR OTHER NON-PARTS COST
http://mazda6club.com/forums/read.php?TID=8127

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dugrant153 said:

FOR THIS VEHICLE:
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:
That is fricking scary. I have my reservations about teh Mz3 now. I might just settle for an Acura EL.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The manufacturing quality in Mexican plants varies greatly. Some of them have pretty good records, those where the automotive companies stressed quality control and training.

On the other hand, there are the Volkswagen manufacturing facilities, where quality is struggling. The JD Power surveys have shown significant differences in Jetta's and Beetle's made in Mexico vs those made in Germany.

At this point in time, the Ford engines made in Mexico seem to be reliable. It is certainly possible that a very high quality engine could be made in Mexico. Much of the manufacturing is robotics anyway. So it depends upon whether the plants are very high tech with rigid quality control, or loosely inspected with an emphasis on cutting cost as much as possible.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The 2.3 has is built in three locations around the world. Japan, Mexico and someplace in Europe. I believe that the Mexico built engines are allocated to the Ford Rnger/Mazda clone, Focus and Mazda6 (additional car lines will use them in the near future like the Escape/Tribute). I believe that the 3 will use engines built in the Hiroshima, Japan plant.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
*****SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION*****

The Mazda3 2.3l (and 2.0l for that matter) are assembled at Mazda's Hiroshima Japan engine plant. Here's more info if you want to read about it:
http://www.mazda.com/publicity/public/200201/0131be.html

Being part of the Ford's global 4-cylinder engine family, there is more than one plant assembling this family of engines. Ford's Chihuahua Mexico plant indeed assembles this engine, but only for N. American-assembled vehicles (e.g. the N. American Mazda6 2.3l, Focus, and Ranger). And from a business perspective, this makes total sense. Oh yeah, the Mexican plant began assembling this family of engines even before Mazda's Japanese plant, so those Mazda6 owners have nothing to worry about.
*****MUST READ*****

HUGE THANKS TO PRESTON AND BRUNO!!!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Thanks guys for the clearup. Glad to know that our Mazda 3's are still fine :)

·
Registered
984 Posts
I would have no problem if the engine was made in Mexico. I'm sure car companies stress quality. Mexicans are very hard workers (which is why a lot of them work in the tobacco fields in KY).

·
Registered
172 Posts
neomonkey said:
dugrant153 said:

FOR THIS VEHICLE:
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:
That is fricking scary. I have my reservations about teh Mz3 now. I might just settle for an Acura EL.
What's acura EL?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
actually, it's got a touch more power than a Civic, dinu01.
my friend has a Civic and another friend has a 1.6EL. the EL has a touch more power.

Both those cars probably don't have engines built in Mexico.
Although possibly some of the other odds and ends might be.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
A little more, but it's still a Civic. Anyways, for the Mexico engines, relax guys, it'll be Japan. See that thread. It clears up everything. I was worried too, but not anymore.

·
Registered
984 Posts
MZ6ZoomZoom said:
Funny, I thought you had a lot of them because they were cheap labor ;)
That too.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It'll totally suck if they make mazda3's engines in mexico. Oh God, why mexico? If they are built 95%+ in japan like current protege and P5, than it'll rock.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Haris said:
It'll totally suck if they make mazda3's engines in mexico. Oh God, why mexico? If they are built 95%+ in japan like current protege and P5, than it'll rock.
:!: ************************************* :!:

GET A GRIP GUYS! THE 2.3L IS MADE IN MEXICO FOR NA-MADE CARS, JAPAN FOR JAPANESE-MADE CARS AND VALENCIA, SPAIN (I THINK) FOR EURO PRODUCTION. THE MAZDA3 IS MADE IN JAPAN AND WILL GET THE JAPANESE ENGINE, SO LET'S ALL TAKE A CHILL PILL AND NOT GO BALD FROM WORRYING ABOUT THIS :roll:

:!: ************************************** :!:

End of announcement :lol:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts