Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what kind of fuel economy those with Maz3 2.3L auto transmissions get.

Having recently bought a 2009, with 112k on it, I did my first check and got 26.5 mpg, with city driving. Some of that was rather spirited driving (it is difficult to not drive this thing hard), but most of the time I wasn't on the throttle very hard. I was pleasantly surprised, and was afraid I would see it in the low 20s. I imagine I could get in the low-mid 30s on the highway, using cruise control and keeping it 65 or under.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I get around 30.5mpg with a majority of highway driving. I've noticed a minor drop in mpg as my vehicle's mileage has increased. I am preparing myself for eventually transplanting a 2.5L engine one day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good, since I recall seeing 22 city and 28 highway as published ratings. Better fuel economy was another reason I replaced my old 4Runner with this, as my daily driver. But I kept the 4Runner for semi-retired utility usage only, as there are things the Maz3 just can't do.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sounds good, since I recall seeing 22 city and 28 highway as published ratings. Better fuel economy was another reason I replaced my old 4Runner with this, as my daily driver. But I kept the 4Runner for semi-retired utility usage only, as there are things the Maz3 just can't do.
Yep. Back when I had a pickup, I would always tell the guys looking for better fuel economy to buy a 4-banger for their daily driver. Yes, a truck can haul cargo when needed, but the car is a much better utility for daily use.

·
Super Moderator
1,207 Posts
Yep. Back when I had a pickup, I would always tell the guys looking for better fuel economy to buy a 4-banger for their daily driver. Yes, a truck can haul cargo when needed, but the car is a much better utility for daily use.
LOL, you don't necessarily need a four-banger; I typically get about 27 mpg in day-to-day driving in my 6-cylinder TL, yes, it is two MPG lower than my wife's Mazda3, but on the highway the two are virtually identical in fuel economy.

·
Registered
482 Posts
LOL, you don't necessarily need a four-banger; I typically get about 27 mpg in day-to-day driving in my 6-cylinder TL, yes, it is two MPG lower than my wife's Mazda3, but on the highway the two are virtually identical in fuel economy.
You have to remember I was dealing with rocket surgeons who couldn't understand why a 4WD truck with a 5.9L V8 on 33s was getting crappy mileage. I had rebuilt my truck's engine and upgraded the transmission for low-end torque. I would often remind everyone on the forum that, "Trucks are for hauling cargo. They are not for hauling ass."

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the 2.3 AutoMagic..I have about 144k miles now..I usually get 23MPG city driving...and 29MPG Highway
I'm at about the same. Enabling that LED display "hack" to show your fuel economy and stuff is pretty accurate and helpful. I found a sweet spot for cruise control at 71ish mph except on hilly freeways.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I'm at about the same. Enabling that LED display "hack" to show your fuel economy and stuff is pretty accurate and helpful. I found a sweet spot for cruise control at 71ish mph except on hilly freeways.
What is this hack you speak of?

·
Registered
482 Posts
If I recall correctly, some of the earlier Gen 1 Mazda3 "i" models could be hacked into showing the on board computer which was supposed to be reserved for the "s" models.
It would be nice if someone would elaborate. Thanks for the added info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts