Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i recently switched exhausts from a corksport system which was 2.5 to a magnaflow which is 2.25. Now i got one cat on it though, which will be off by next week. I got a feeling it will sound like a nice civic after that cat is off...i don't want that. So i might switch back to the corksport. I was wondering how many people here have 2.25 exhaust with a header and are there any dynos to see if there is a difference in 2.5 and 2.25 or are the gains the same while the power band changed? After switching to this system i can say my throttle response is right there, my accelerator seems more sensitive, i got a lot of torque down low and i feel like this was the biggest HP gain. I searched the forum regarding this and i didn't find much. I found most people going with 2.5 because it "seems better".

·
Registered
126 Posts
2.25".

I have 2.5" on my 6i and that was a mistake as I lost quite a bit of torque, which is funny though because my 60ft times are pretty good. Unless you've done some serious mods, 2.25" is the largest I'd recommend.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
serious mods like what...i mean i am getting a optimized TB soon and taking the VTCS out next. I got all the bolt-ons. I will also get a tune later on down the road once CP-E comes out with it.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea and i will be getting the crankshaft pulley soon too. The 2.25 gave me a really big difference in power delivery so that's why i am a bit sketchy on going back to the 2.5. I loved how the corksport sounded though. This magnaflow might sound rice after the race pipe.

·
Registered
501 Posts
i think you can find a video of the magnaflow with a race pipe. with a header i wouldn't doubt some riceyness. i like the corksport for me i am going to buy it again when i get to that point. i really noticed the gains in the middle of the power band but it gained all over. i also noticed that my car which is a 2.3L would pull harder in the higher rpm's even up to the limiter.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i found a magnaflow with a race pipe but it has a hint of rice at high RPM and you really can't judge from a video cause a lot of people put the dam mic so close to the muffler or the mic just sucks so it distorts. With the corksport i can deff say i gained top end like nothing. This 2.25 magnaflow just feels smooth through out.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
also keep in mind i got the 2.0 not 2.3...if it makes that much of a difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I HAVE AN '08 MAZDA 3 i 4 DR. WITH A 2.0 MANUAL.
ITS STILL STOCK, AND WONDERING WHAT ADVICE YOU GUYS.GIRLS HAVE FOR UPGRADES. BOLT-ON BUDGET

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
first, i'd suggest the search function. It gives you more than 50+whp. It works, trust me.
Second, i'd start with basic bolt-ons like intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i want maximum possible hp gain...plus i am just scared that when i get the race pipe installed with the piping being smaller diameter it will have some riceyness to it. The corksport sounded beautiful. It sounds a bit exotic.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
2.25", especially for your 2.0, 2.3's can get away with 2.5" but i still think 2.25" is better.

it's pretty much the same story as shopping for an intake. smaller = more low end, larger = more top end.

2.25" will give you a bit more back pressure than the 2.5" which is good as long as it's free flowing... 2.5" is probably okay with a chamber style muffler, 2.25" with a straight through (which the magnaflow has).

·
Registered
864 Posts
to tell you the truth, i had the exact same question
and i ended up getting a 2.5 which is my borla exhaust.
i searched like EVERYTHING and like a thread a while back.
to tell you the truth, it does not matter. there were numerous posts
like this back in the day and people have like proof/evidence and stuff
just get whatever you want!!

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
seriously man, you must never be able to sleep at night. because i have never read anyone here who seems to lose as much sleep over exhaust diameter as you do.

2.25" is perfect for a 2.0 engine. if you get a race pipe there might be some rasp but you're running A CATLESS EXHAUST on a 10:1 2.0. what the hell do you expect? add a vibrant resonator or something, or get a chambered muffler. you can't have it all and you seem to want it all.

i think you're really really way too picky about your car. i mean i have the catted thunder header, a race-pipe, the mazdaspeed accessory exhaust and only the one high flow cat in the header and there's no rasp at all. but then, i have a 2.3.

if you want MAXIMUM HP GAIN then buy another car, you're going to make your car un-driveable except above 4500k rpm which is what you claimed was annoying you before anyway.

you got what you wanted with your current exhaust, why not just leave it at that? if you're so concerned about horsepower why are you running a thunder header anyway? the vibrant or draxas header delivers more horsepower at the expense of noise and low end.

i really don't know what you expect or want.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yea you got a point...i am picky as shit about my car and i do want it all :lol:. I can't trade the car or get another one hence me trying to get it all from this car. I got the thunder header cause it was cheap as hell and at that time i just got it because it increased power and then later found out that it gives top end. I will switch my header out later on down the road once this one fucks up. That's why i didn't care much when i wrapped it.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
i don't mean to sound harsh. i mean, really, when all is said and done you're maybe talking +/- 7whp or so which is almost undetectable.

·
Registered
126 Posts
[quote author=08mazda2.0 link=topic=136806.msg2949978#msg2949978 date=1235150441]
serious mods like what...i mean i am getting a optimized TB soon and taking the VTCS out next. I got all the bolt-ons. I will also get a tune later on down the road once CP-E comes out with it.
[/quote]

Like opening up the engine's capabilities with higher compression pistons, cams, head work, etc.

You have no reason to go with 2.5", especially with the 2 liter.

·
Registered
435 Posts
[quote author=08mazda2.0 link=topic=136806.msg2950029#msg2950029 date=1235151817]
i found a magnaflow with a race pipe but it has a hint of rice at high RPM and you really can't judge from a video cause a lot of people put the dam mic so close to the muffler or the mic just sucks so it distorts. With the corksport i can deff say i gained top end like nothing. This 2.25 magnaflow just feels smooth through out.
[/quote]

instead of simply adding pipe.......remove the cat and replace with a magnaflow 5inch round resonator. will cure the rasp. if you can fit it put a MagnaFlow 12640 in there.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts