Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody driven the 2.0 vs the 2.3?

If you did care to comment on performance differences etc?

Most of the reviews I have read said that there was no much in it due to the extra weight of the bodykit and extra stuff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Will be test driving both of them tomorrow and will give a review of both cars as best I can. But I'm definitely going to try and go for the SP23. For a approx $3k more, you get a whole better engine and so many more additions both internally and externally. Definitely worth the $$$ in my opinion. I just have to go rob a bank for the cash that's all :twisted:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I drove both a week ago in automatic, hatch form, back to back.

I found the 2.3 superior in performance, although not astonishingly so. This is in line with the reviewers.

Surprisingly, I also found the 2.3 quieter as I had to work the 2.0 very, very hard to get anything like the performance I am used to (my current car isn't flash but it does have a 3 litre V6). I felt I had to work the 2.3 pretty hard, too, but it did respond nicely and had just the right amount of torque I was looking for. Both engines rev freely up to red line even in AT form. I'm not used to that but I guess modern 4 cylinder engines do that sort of thing. Fun.

Also, FWIW, the 2.3 on PULP has more performance improvement potential, if you are interested. I was reassured both cars were not running on PULP during the test drive. According to the stickers the 2.3 chews through 0.5 litres more fuel / 100 kms.

As for interior trim, I prefer the Maxx over the SP's blue but I like the SP's red. I dislike the SP's carbon fibre dashboard strip.

I have always driven rear-wheel drive cars and was pleasantly surprised with the handling of both models. With the kind of mostly law-abiding city driving I do I wouldn't choose one over the other on handling.

Just as an indication on pricing, I have been quoted off the cuff a Maxx @ 30.5k and an SP @ 35 drive away. On cost, I've looked up redbook and it seems the old SP20's depreciation stays healthier than the standard model. Time will tell if we see the same trend with the SP23.

My decision comes down to torque and a fortunate budget that can wear a 4.5k price difference.

Anyway, for those reasons, if I get an MZ3, it will be a SP23. And I don't see any current competitor that will have me going elsewhere. I went to a toyota yard determined to test drive a corolla but after sitting in it I just didn't have the stomach to bother taking it for a drive. It feels old. And the astra and golf have new models coming out this year. I would wait if I could, as they're likely to provide keen competition.

I would strongly advise test driving both to see what suits you in the performance/cost trade off. I'm confident you'll agree both are top of their class. Please furnish us with your thoughts when you do. :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a MZ6 with the 2.3 + Auto. Same engine and trans setup as the SP23

I find the Auto a bit sluggish on the take off, the engine is OK between 3K - 5K RPM. Unfortunately, the wifey can't drive a manual so I was stuck with the extra $2K burden of an auto and less performance to show for it.

So my next car will definitely be a manual. And I will be shopping in the low 20's I think.

To me the price of the SP23 is priced dangerously close to a MZ6 Manual Classic (only $1500 more). The only thing you miss out on is the body kit....but you get a bigger car. Depends on your priorities I guess.

Also on the Premium vs Regular thing, from what I understand from reading other threads in forums, in order to get more ponies the car needs to be retuned to take advantage of the extra octane that Premium provides. The fuel itself does not provide more power.

Just out of interest the Corolla you were going to drive was it the 'Sportivo'?

·
Registered
20 Posts
BeeF said:
I have a MZ6 with the 2.3 + Auto...I find the Auto a bit sluggish on the take off, the engine is OK between 3K - 5K RPM.
Similar experience with the SP23 AT, although the weight reduction helps a bit. I felt the 2.3 gets to its power band in a reasonable enough time frame (it could always be faster) but the 2.0 left me a little wanting and seemed somewhat noisier.

BeeF said:
So my next car will definitely be a manual. And I will be shopping in the low 20's I think.
The MZ3 2.0 manual may well feel comparable to the MZ6. It's been a few months since I drove the MZ6 AT but I felt the SP23 AT was comparable, if not a little quicker (slightly less torque in SP23 but also less weight).

BeeF said:
Just out of interest the Corolla you were going to drive was it the 'Sportivo'?
I went in with an open mind but they all disappointed. The only other competitor I haven't tried is the Imprezza. After sufferring through the new Liberty 2.5's horrible acceleration, I don't expect the Imprezza RS (with same 2.5 engine and unappealing boy racer bits) will perform that much better. So I'm running out of options. As you indicate, the MZ6 is probably the closest competition and I think I'll drive a classic hatch AT to see. Its sticker price is about 2.5K more but is offset by having cruise as standard (an extra 700 on MZ3) and more haggle room, I expect. The MZ6 classic hatch has 4 less air bags, though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
BeeF said:
I believe that Mazda is introducing 6 Airbags on the MZ6 as standard sometime this year.
Yes, I spoke to a dealer today who confirmed the 6 airbags are now standard on the 6 classic. My initial comment was based on the website specs, which are obviously out of date. Also, an update on price difference. Ignoring haggle the price differential between MZ3 SP23 AT and MZ6 Classic AT is 3.5k.

Tried to test drive an Impressa RS auto today but like my previous 2 experiences at a Subaru dealership, was unsuccessful gaining any service. Subaru cars obviously sell themselves 'cause if my experiences are anything to go by, their salesmen don't seem to.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AlmostExactly said:
Ignoring haggle the price differential between MZ3 SP23 AT and MZ6 Classic AT is 3.5k.
Actually, good news it is closer to 2.5K ($2715)
Take roughly another $1K off if you could settle for the MZ6 Sedan

AlmostExactly said:
Subaru cars obviously sell themselves 'cause if my experiences are anything to go by, their salesmen don't seem to.
Once upon a time with the WRX I think you could have said that :) but not anymore

Good luck in finding a helpful one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts