Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....and the car battery is dead....
Woke up this morning to a nice 8degree day... Went out to the car to go to work and when I turned the key I got 2 slow cranks and then nothing...
Luckily 1) I have a stick shift and 2) I park on a incline. 2nd gear rolling start it is...
Drop the car off to Mazda this morning and get a call that the battery failed its load test. $38 is my cost to repl the battery....
Am a bit disappointed the battery lasted less than 2 years..... :(

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad luck. I think there a lot of batteries are going south right now with the sudden frigid cold.

Is the battery not covered under warranty or is it considered a "wear & tear" item?

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea this severe cold is killing alot of batteries. Mazda prorates the batteries in their cars. The first year is covered 100% then depending on age/mileage you pay a sliding scale percentage of the replacement cost. Over all $38 is not bad for a new battery...
I write service for Porsche and a new battery is $300 for a Porsche....

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
It's not sealed?

If that's the case, we can just be adding distilled water to them.

Does the severe cold "freeze" the cells perhaps? hmmm

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
battery has had regular maintenance (topped off and electrolite levels checked, also cleaned terminals and anti corrosion pads repl)....

·
Registered
25,357 Posts
I've owned mine 2 years, ditched the stock battery less then a month after I bought the car and it died, in favor of an optima red top. Optima was killed last year by an inept dealership in Texas which screwed me over 6 ways from Sunday, thankfully I was able to swap out the Optima at autozone free of charge.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Must be a defective battery or something draining it. It gets down to -40F here every winter and I still expect a battery to last at least five years.

·
Registered
23,017 Posts
I had that problem a few times last year in the severe cold but so far none this year (knock on wood...)

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
How do I check the water level on the battery and how to add more water?

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
Mine was still strong @ 34,000 and three years on my 04Mz3

Doesnt get that cold here though....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts