Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather stupid question but thought I would ask. Other than attractiveness, does the 17" have other advantages over the 16"? Such as better MPGs, better stability, etc.

Thanks.

Kevin

·
Registered
254 Posts
haha yeh.. i was just going to say other than the cosmetic aspect.. the 17s' are probably worse as far as traction and road feel etc. i have a friend who had a lowered crx with 16s on and he complained that he felt every imperfection on the road and that every pot hole he hit felt like it was destroying his vehicle

·
Registered
87 Posts
16" is a more intelligent choice. Ride is smoother and tires are less expensive.

Plus the choice of tires for 205-55-16 is huge.

·
Registered
889 Posts
king chile said:
haha yeh.. i was just going to say other than the cosmetic aspect.. the 17s' are probably worse as far as traction and road feel etc. i have a friend who had a lowered crx with 16s on and he complained that he felt every imperfection on the road and that every pot hole he hit felt like it was destroying his vehicle
Depends if the suspension was designed for low profile tires. The Benz CL600 wearing dubs goes over rough roads better than most cars wearing 15" rims with huge sidewalls.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Tires makes a difference. But mostly its suspension.

I rode in a 93 SL500, and that was smooth as butter. I believe its 18" up front, 19" in the back.. or maybe 19" all the way around.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Would it be possible then to get the GFX package but with the 16" instead of the 17" ? Any idea as to how much the dealer would take off ?

I was planning on getting 16" for winter and 17" for summer but as time goes by I am questioning more and more the 17"... price, selection, performance, etc. is it really worth it...

Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
the only answer to say about better or worse: worse.

17" are just bigger which means just more weight which means acceleration is worse than with 16"

if youre just into getting your car faster, without caring about style take the smallest rim size.

imo i just go 17", cuz im more in to style, 2nd ill get them free with tha car :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts