Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for the 15 and 9 led brake lights you can find on ebay. They're both smoked quite a bit, so light output is really diminished compared to a regular clear lens. I tried shining a 1 watt led flashlight with a focused beam and the smoked housing killed the output in half to the point I could look directly at the 1 watt led without any hot spots in my eyes.

The newer design is supposed to be brighter, but after taking off the led boards and comparing them, it's the same components. The 9led version has slightly brighter leds, but I can only figure they used smaller resistors to get the added brightness. The reflector design has also been changed. The 15led had a beam pattern that shot straight back at 90*. The newer version has revised optics. There are two hot spots in the beam pattern, one angled slightly higher then 90* and the other at 45* though it's the dimmer of the two. A really big improvement, especially with the smoked design.

The 9led also has a weird purple tint. It's not that noticeable on carbon grey, but it might be on other colours.

Stock red lens with devin98 leds, 15led from ebay, 9led from ebay.

The purple tint.

From afar.

It doesn't affect the red colour.

15led lit up.

9led lit up.

15led head on.

9led head on.

Personally I prefer the 9led version. It fills out the space a lot better, and has a better optic design to focus the output effectively. I didn't try the clear version, but I imagine it's super bright. The leds themselves naked are good.

I'm just going to gut the 9led, put it in the 15led frame, and rewire some .5watt smt in there and annoy people behind me ;D

·
Registered
987 Posts
[quote author=ziegs2020 link=topic=133929.msg2897546#msg2897546 date=1233211593]
I updated the original post. The ebay one you mentioned is the one I reviewed above.
[/quote]

Have a link for the clear 9-LED version? I searched Ebay the other day but only saw one smoked version available.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote author=WildFrisco link=topic=133929.msg2897635#msg2897635 date=1233219345]
[quote author=ziegs2020 link=topic=133929.msg2897546#msg2897546 date=1233211593]
I updated the original post. The ebay one you mentioned is the one I reviewed above.
[/quote]

Have a link for the clear 9-LED version? I searched Ebay the other day but only saw one smoked version available.
[/quote]

http://www.bjautofans.com/p_4872.page
http://www.bjautofans.com/p_4871.page

I didn't have any problems ordering from them directly, but it's not cheap. I would probably wait until they flood ebay for cheap. :)

·
Registered
987 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
I like 9 LED one too. I just got 9 flux version of this light from my friend and,,I also thought strange purply tint was strange!

So I combine it with stock 3d brake clear lens.

This is the product from Taiwan..9(supposed to be high performance)Flux with pretty decent reflector design. I like that it has bulb socket holder so stock socket won’t play/jump around.

Be removing 4 screws (not 2 screws on circuit board) , you can take these 9Flux board out. Looks ok for aftermarket product I think.

Now,,,open up stock 3rd brake light housing to remove clear lens part. Tabs are in green circled part. While pulling clear lens light blue arrowed way, pull housing back blue arrowed way separate this light housing and lens easily.

And…..snap LEDs unit into stock clear lens. They fit so perfect. I was trying to apply some glue after test insert, but it fit so well and was even hard to pull it out. So I just push it into stock lens.

Very OE looking…I like it and this stock lens spread LED illumination very well.

Back into location. Had to trim lens slightly to get socket clearance but it was super easy transplant.

Illumination intensity is pretty good I think.

withough flash

·
Registered
60 Posts
Could you elaborate please? I'm drawing a blank trying to figure exactly out what you had to trim.

[quote author=upashi link=topic=133929.msg3083549#msg3083549 date=1240679450]
Back into location. Had to trim lens slightly to get socket clearance but it was super easy transplant.
[/quote]

·
Registered
801 Posts

light blue dot line in the middle. When you try useign OE clear lens with this 9LED product's socket holder, T10 socket base will hit this part( dotted line part) little so had to trim.

If you just use 9LED product as it is, no need of triming or anything. It will be simply bolt on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.