Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:shock: The thermostat housing/manifold is made of plastic. Yes, I said plastic! While this, in and of itself doesn't surprise me. The fact that it has cracked after a mere 8 months and 20k miles does surprise me. Now I know that I put more miles on my car (08.5 2.3GT) than most of you, but this in no way should let anyone assume that is the reason the housing cracked. Futhermore, this should never be the case and it should last millions of miles. I feel, and hope, that this was a quality issue and was the unlucky 1/100 of a percent to get a faulty component. My rant however, is not that I got a faulty part, but what damage did this do to the engine as it overheated? I was able to get off the highway before the "Idiot" light came on, thanks for the coolant temp. guage Mazda.

For those that do not know where the thermostat housing is located. Pop you hood. It is straight back from the throttle body toward the firewall. A rad hose and one of the heater hoses lead directly to it. There is a bracket bolted to the top of it whick support the fuel? lines and PCV hose.

If you have become a victim of this component please sound off here....I hope no-one does or has.

David

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Thermostat housing is coolant leak culprit!

I went through TWO of these and the third one hasn't done this. Only only months apart. While the other lasted I guess 2 years.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts

i got a p0128 code check engine light that points more and more to a faulty thermostatm I really need to swap this out soon, but Im not too familiar with the location. A pic would be helpful indeed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

[quote author=Zabusa link=topic=139855.msg3014504#msg3014504 date=1237924138]
i got a p0128 code check engine light that points more and more to a faulty thermostatm I really need to swap this out soon, but Im not too familiar with the location. A pic would be helpful indeed.
[/quote]
Does your car have a 2.3 or 2.0? I am not sure if the differences are merely bore x stroke. I will try to get a pic up this weekend. Sorry, I'm in the middle of a complete rear brake overhaul on the wifes Explorer.

Good luck
David

·
Registered
13,729 Posts

I replaced my thermostat just last week. Here is what they look like (this one is my old one).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Look different than mine.

FemGearHead,
That does look different than the component on my car (2008.5 2.3). Perspective? Maybe that will help Zabusa. Did that come from the location I described earlier?

David

·
Registered
13,729 Posts

I'm not sure. My mechanic replaced it. My car is a 2.3, so pretty sure it's the same part.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts

chassismaster, here's a cooling system diagram for the 07-09 models. The location is about the same as 04-06 models but the part # is slightly different. However it looks like FemGearHead's thermostat was replaced with the most recent part # not her original, so they must be interchangeable between all years and models.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts

Yep... and the thermostat housing is bolted to the block under the intake manifold, as the dotted line shows.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts

which one on the diagram in the thermostat? and is the housing a metal block?

·
Registered
10,739 Posts

It's 15-172 in the diagram. And I believe the housing is plastic... as highlighted in red in the OP ;)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts

well i figured that much, but i didnt know the thermostat housing and thermostat were the same thing....

·
Registered
10,739 Posts

It is kind of a weird part name, but it's definitely all you need. Would be hard to just replace the inner workings, considering it's just a puddle of wax.

·
Registered
10,739 Posts

MSRP is about $49. I've never replaced it nor have a I seen a how-to floating around yet, so can't help you there. I'd imagine you have to replace at least part of the coolant, but other than that it looks pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I LIED!!!!!!!!

SORRY EVERYONE!!!!! The component replaced on my car was 15-17Z, which by the blowup provided by Cali , is definitly not the thermostat housing. I do not know what it is called, but it is also plastic. I'm pretty sure the paperwork from the dealer called it a thermostat housing and such that is what I relayed to everyone. Again I am very sorry to base this thread on false info. However, as the actual thermostat housing 15-172 is also plastic I guess the warning still holds. I will edit my original post.

David

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thermostat replacement

[quote author=Zabusa link=topic=139855.msg3017967#msg3017967 date=1238038723]
so how hard is it to replace? guide? how much is it?
[/quote]
Zabusa, no mater how you dress it you will not have it easy. The blowup provided by Cali makes the task look easier than it will be. There are a lot of systems/shit not shown that will complicate what is a fairly straight forward procedure: Drain the coolant below the level of the thermo housing. How? Good question. Typically the radiator has a petcock of some sort on the bottom somewhere. Remove the hose clamps attaching the two hoses to the thermo housing. Remove three bolts securing the housing to the engine block. It should wiggle its way clear of the engine. Just reverse the process to reassemble. That is the short of it. It will not be so easy to execute. Clearance is at a minimum and you may find there may be other components that may need removal to make the task less arduous.

FemGearHead, did your mech. list a flat rate time (usually in hrs) it was supposed to take to compete the replacement? And what was the Total bill, parts and Labor?

Good luck Zabusa
David

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
My mechanic charged me 1 hour of time for labor.

It's interesting because a while back I had the car at the dealership for something unrelated and they quoted me $507 (to replace the thermostat and reflash the ECU, though not sure why they added that in), so when I had them remove the ECU reflash, they wanted $407 to replace the thermostat. I paid less than half that at my ind. guy.

My mechanic charges $106/hour for labor btw.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts