Mazda3 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 130 Posts

· Registered
5,924 Posts
Mandee said:
Well i just got back from the drags in Perth Western Australia and i am VERY happy with my runs.......

My car is completely stock and this is the reason why i took it to the drags, to get a stock time so i can compare to my mods when they are done.....

Completely Stock Mazda 3 SP23
terminal speed - 87.89 mph = 141.44kph

A little word of advice...i left the tyre pressure normal at the back to prevent too much dipping on launching but dropped the 2 front tyre pressures to 20psi so that it gripped that bit easier :)

I am also taking the Mazda onto the Motorkhana track on the 18th April, so ill keep you updated on how that goes :)

So.....have i got the record here??? YAY!! :banana:
Good job!

---Herb---

· Registered
8 Posts
Frank said:
I know. The Protege weighs 1,230KG, the Mazda3 is 1,530 I guess... That makes 300KG (600lbs?) for 40 more horsepower to the wheels.
The Mazda3 SP23 weighs 1280kg...

Tonight, I'll scan Mandee's time slip for everyone to see :)

I must say well done, I was there filming the whole thing and she drove VERY well...still that fine line between wheelspin and bogging down off the line, but once thats sorted, I'd say 15.4-15.5 isnt out of the question!! :shock:

· Registered
8 Posts
She did 6 passes.

First one was a 16.5 with LOTS of wheelspin, and getting used to the car..

2nd was a shocking 17 second pass with a 3.6 second 60 ft time (lots and lots and lots of wheel spin)..

Then it got better.

16.1, 16.0, 15.8, then the 15.7...every single time, her launch getting better, although there is still more fine tuning to be had with the launch :)

· Registered
303 Posts
Looks god, nice job on the time there :D . I do have one other question though, is there different emissions etc. for the Australian version ? Just wondering because after my only run I have been able to get in yet the car did not feel like it had much more getup and go left in it, then again I still need to fix my launch from the hole a bit and play with the shifting to find some optimal points. Sorry if it seems I am trying to rationalize something here but I've been racing for a while and seeing someone pull a half second quicker pass in almost the same car is killing me here(especially when he 60 ft. are so close). Anyways hopefully in the next weeks Ican make it back t othe track and find out :)

· Registered
209 Posts
Well, as far as i know Australia gets the world export model of the 3 which is the same as the USA, the only different spec model is the Jap one...so emissions would be the same...

This isnt exactly my first time racing, it was just the first time for this car so i too consider myself a capable driver...wasnt just a fluke!

I think my 60' times could be much improved because there was a LOT of wheelspin as you can see and hear in the video...Just remember, there is a considerable difference in the elapsed time depending on the 60' time!

I am hoping to improve my time even more with exhaust and intake, i think its capable of a low 15 for sure...

· Registered
303 Posts
Thanks for the link, yeah you're right they look like they are the same. Oh and I didn't mean to insinuate you were not a good driver, since that is clearly not the case at all :D . Just trying to get some more info so when I get back to the track I can improve my time. And yeah the 60 ft. time makes a HUGE difference in the ET like you stated which is why I am sort of confused when I look at my time slip, I used stock tire pressure(of course had to feather the clutch 'cause our tires suck and we have mad amounts of wheel hop) and still ended with a 2.4 60 ft. which is alright for the first time at the track with it, but here is where I am confused on it unless the lights were off at the track which is unlikely I only have a 10.4 sec 1/8 [email protected] ONLY 46 mph when compared to the 2 other timeslips here it makes no sense at all with sean pulling a 10.5 1/8 @69 mph and yours of a 10.1 1/8 @ 71. The only conclusion I can come up with is that my shifts were off, but still doesnt seem right. btw do you remember what your shifts were like? I held them all until redline(6900-7000) but looking back at it I should have shifted from 2nd earlier I guess since the power band seems to drop off at around 6700 in 2nd. Anyways if anyone could offer any other ideas for my odd 1/8 mile ET I would be more thna happy to listen. :p

· Registered
209 Posts
Goood News, i entered the SP23 in a car show held in Perth Yesterday called Drag Combat!

I beat my time once again...

i ended up with a 15.57 @ 142.41kph (88.49mph) as i was hoping and planning to get as i knew the car had more in it when i did my 15.7

I think this is pretty much its peak performance Stock......YAY!!

My 60" times were better this time (2.273) but yet can improve :)

I was very happy with the result :)

· Registered
209 Posts
If you think that is good, my boyfriend got a 0.06 reaction time driving his WRX......Now THATS a nice reaction time hehehehehe :)

· Registered
583 Posts
Mandee,

Just saw the vid and was curious to know something I observed while watching: Almost immediately right after launch, I noticed what sounded like wheel-hopping. If so, was the wheel-hopping present in every case? How much do you think the times would be lowered if you could reduce or lessen the wheel-hops? And lastly would a different set of tires or slicks help that, too?

Just curious. Thanks for the video and input!

· Registered
209 Posts
Yes it was tramping after launching (when the tyres grip then lose grip then grip then lose grip). It tramped a lot when i launched it at high rpm and dumped the clutch.....ALL the time.....so i discovered is i rev it up to about 3000-4000rpm then slip the clutch it took off a lot nicer, gained grip a lot quicker and took off without tramping :)

By sliping the clutch and not having the wheel hoping i reduced my time from about low 16s (16.1, 16.0, 16.2) to a 15.5 (consistent 15.6 15.7 15.5) :)

Slicks (sticky tyres) DEFINATELY would help a lot again, i dont have any at the moment but hope to soon as i dont want to chop up the tyres i have on there so want a seperate set for motorsport and drags :)

Kings springs are a brand of sport suspension in Australia :) they are 35mm lower than the standard springs so it is lowered nicely, not too much but lower than standard.

· Registered
209 Posts
i tend to disagree as 40-50kg difference wont make a considerable change to times.....

hey 100kg difference would be only .1 difference in time so 40-50 wont make a difference

....and talking minimal weight you would also have to take into consideration the weight of the driver...

21 - 40 of 130 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.