Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
209 Posts
Well i just got back from the drags in Perth Western Australia and i am VERY happy with my runs.......

My car is completely stock and this is the reason why i took it to the drags, to get a stock time so i can compare to my mods when they are done.....

Completely Stock Mazda 3 SP23
terminal speed - 87.89 mph = 141.44kph

A little word of advice...i left the tyre pressure normal at the back to prevent too much dipping on launching but dropped the 2 front tyre pressures to 20psi so that it gripped that bit easier :)

I am also taking the Mazda onto the Motorkhana track on the 18th April, so ill keep you updated on how that goes :)

So.....have i got the record here??? YAY!! :banana:

· Registered
209 Posts
I dont have a scanner.....BUT.....my boyfriend does so ill get him to do it tomorrow hopefully :)

· Registered
209 Posts
Well, as far as i know Australia gets the world export model of the 3 which is the same as the USA, the only different spec model is the Jap one...so emissions would be the same...

This isnt exactly my first time racing, it was just the first time for this car so i too consider myself a capable driver...wasnt just a fluke!

I think my 60' times could be much improved because there was a LOT of wheelspin as you can see and hear in the video...Just remember, there is a considerable difference in the elapsed time depending on the 60' time!

I am hoping to improve my time even more with exhaust and intake, i think its capable of a low 15 for sure...

· Registered
209 Posts
Goood News, i entered the SP23 in a car show held in Perth Yesterday called Drag Combat!

I beat my time once again...

i ended up with a 15.57 @ 142.41kph (88.49mph) as i was hoping and planning to get as i knew the car had more in it when i did my 15.7

I think this is pretty much its peak performance Stock......YAY!!

My 60" times were better this time (2.273) but yet can improve :)

I was very happy with the result :)

· Registered
209 Posts
If you think that is good, my boyfriend got a 0.06 reaction time driving his WRX......Now THATS a nice reaction time hehehehehe :)

· Registered
209 Posts
Yes it was tramping after launching (when the tyres grip then lose grip then grip then lose grip). It tramped a lot when i launched it at high rpm and dumped the clutch.....ALL the time.....so i discovered is i rev it up to about 3000-4000rpm then slip the clutch it took off a lot nicer, gained grip a lot quicker and took off without tramping :)

By sliping the clutch and not having the wheel hoping i reduced my time from about low 16s (16.1, 16.0, 16.2) to a 15.5 (consistent 15.6 15.7 15.5) :)

Slicks (sticky tyres) DEFINATELY would help a lot again, i dont have any at the moment but hope to soon as i dont want to chop up the tyres i have on there so want a seperate set for motorsport and drags :)

Kings springs are a brand of sport suspension in Australia :) they are 35mm lower than the standard springs so it is lowered nicely, not too much but lower than standard.

· Registered
209 Posts
i tend to disagree as 40-50kg difference wont make a considerable change to times.....

hey 100kg difference would be only .1 difference in time so 40-50 wont make a difference

....and talking minimal weight you would also have to take into consideration the weight of the driver...

· Registered
209 Posts
Surreal said:
Hey Mandee good job on the 1/4 times....

15.5 is quite impressive especially for it being completely stock
Thanks :) The looks i was getting from some of the guys at the track when i did my 15.5 was sooooo funny.......i think i shocked quite a few people actually, even myself!!

I am taking it out on the motorkhana trach tomorrow so ill let you know how it goes :)

· Registered
209 Posts
AderC said:
I ran a 16.67 @83mph in a MZ3 2.0 litre with a Mazda stainless exhaust. First run of the day and in the panic I'd forgot to turn the air con off!! I actually wonder whether leaving the air con on helped the launch?! Other runs were a 16.8, 2 16.9's and 2 17.2's.
In actual fact you didnt run with your air cn on! The mazda 3 has a function that cuts off the air conditioning at full throttle, so whener you drive your car hard and fast you will notice that the air conditioning will turn off automatically, try it! :)

· Registered
209 Posts
I went to the Drags again today and ran my Mazda 3 SP23 once again even though it is still stock as a rock. I ran it again beacuse last time i went down i did a 15.5 but i felt it still had a little bit in it :)

So my updated STOCK 1/4 mile time and details...
(I will scan the slip this week and post it up :)

ELAPSED TIME: 15.391 sec
TERMINAL SPEED: 91.00 mph - 146.45kph
REACTION TIME: 0.001 sec
60': 2.432 sec
330': 6.520 sec
660':9.921 sec - 117.83kph
1000': 12.875 sec

YAY now i am ready to start modding :) Bring on the 14sec passes!!!

· Registered
209 Posts
Thats what i am looking into getting......the CAI fender type!

I am curious to see what comes out of the 3 after the CAI is on and then most of all after the exhaust is on.........the damn thing sounds like it is so restricted...it just wants to flow and breathe....I am really hanging for an exhaust to be released so then im out onto the track again to see the gains....both in motorkhana and drags.....i think 15.3 is the limit for the stock 3 :)

· Registered
209 Posts
OOOOps i put the link up before it was fully uploaded so if you tried downloading it before you wouldnt have got the whole thing.................but its all good now to download :)

· Registered
209 Posts

I took off quick between 3000 and 4000rpm as i found taking off at higer rpm just gave me bulk wheelspin....

I flat changed gears all the way through the rev range changing at 6900rpm.

I was running 18psi in the stock tyres to minimise wheel spin.

I had exactly half a tank of BP Ultimate in the tank.

I weigh 60kg (I dont normally share that)

and it was all in street trim....i didnt remove anything, not even my cd cases or spare tyre!!

I had a black helmet on at the time, blue jeans and white jumper with my white shoes on too :) (oh and a white lacy g-string and a white lacy bra hehehe but i dont think that would have added much to the weight factor LOL)

hahaha nah just playing with ya, good to have a little fun!!

Have you taken yours to the drags and if so what sort of times were you getting?

· Registered
209 Posts
In Australia, we get Bridgestone Potenza RE011 215/45 R17...same tyres that are fitted to our locally delivered Subaru Impreza WRXs..

They are decent tyres...but they wear out a bit quicker than other tyres because they are quite soft. My boyfriends WRX had these tyres and they lasted around 19000km (11000 miles) before they were completely shot!

· Registered
209 Posts
hahahaha NOS...definately not!!! it is STOCK!!

even if i did have NOS i would make sure i had intake, full exhaust and maybe even some internal work done before i ran it on my car.....i know some people do run NOS on stock cars and it is 'said to be safe' to run 50shot on a stock car, i would never take that risk on my own car! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.