Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking at the website for the '10 mazda & imho the '09 and its generation is a much nicer look...granted i'm only getting stock pictures but i wasn't all that impressed

just wondering if anyone else had looked at the '10 and what they thought of it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The styling turns me off. I think the chassis is also heavier, which I dislike. Definitely glad I got an 09 instead. Now if it had a v6, I'd gladly suffer all that, but it doesn't.

It kinda looks more like the Ford Focus, and I hate those.

·
Registered
27,077 Posts
[quote author=moverbaugh link=topic=138142.msg2978257#msg2978257 date=1236290204]
The styling turns me off. I think the chassis is also heavier, which I dislike. Definitely glad I got an 09 instead. Now if it had a v6, I'd gladly suffer all that, but it doesn't.

It kinda looks more like the Ford Focus, and I hate those.
[/quote]

SPECULATION

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
[quote author=moverbaugh link=topic=138142.msg2978361#msg2978361 date=1236293516]
The specs on Mazda's website say it's heavier. Base 09 PZEV 3 is 2828lb, base '10 PZEV 3 is 2932lb
[/quote]

So the Happy Face grille wieghs 104 pounts, wow!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Larger and more content = more weight. Few cars shed pounds during a revision these days.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
pretty sure the 2.5 is gonna be slower than an older 2.3

also, you'll have to sell an internal organ to replace a bi-xenon headlight once your warranty is up. hell, a stock d2s bulb for a speed or xenon gt is about $500 at a dealer anyhow.

·
Registered
27,077 Posts
[quote author=biped link=topic=138142.msg2978402#msg2978402 date=1236294402]
pretty sure the 2.5 is gonna be slower than an older 2.3

also, you'll have to sell an internal organ to replace a bi-xenon headlight once your warranty is up. hell, a stock d2s bulb for a speed or xenon gt is about $500 at a dealer anyhow.
[/quote]

key words

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
well yeah but, for real, 95% of customers who buy mazdas will ahve all their service done at a dealer. not everyone is savvy enough to buy off of ebay and i wouldn't trust many cheap d2s bulbs in my xenons if i had them. at least there's an implied warranty through a dealer.

also good luck replacing anyhting in the bi-xenon that ISN'T sourced through a dealer. that shit is mad tight and mad expensive.

·
Registered
239 Posts
This April’s issue of Car and Driver tested the ’10 Mazda 3 s GT. They liked it.

The Highes: “Loves to romp, upscale trim, gee-whiz mini nav, manual has six speeds.”

The Lows: “Cabin noise, stiffer ride, snug back seat, options prick up the price.”

The Verdict: “It definitely has the chops.”

With regard to acceleration, it was 2.5 seconds to 30 mph, 7.7 seconds to 60 mph, 21.4 seconds to 100 mph. It pulled a 16.0 quarter at 88 mph. (According to C&D, the previous generation Mazda 3 with the 2.3 liter and manual transmission was 7.3 seconds to 60 mph.) C&D was clear to point that the 2010 Mazda 3 required two shifts before 60 mph while the 2006 Mazda 3 required only one. According to C&D, that extra shift “always costs a few eye blinks.”

Curb weight was 3,038lbs. Drag coefficient was .29. Sixth gear cranked about 2,440 rpm at 60 mph. Price as tested was $26,000 (est).

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yeah, not sure what they were thinking with the new styling...

I guess they think that more people think they'll buy their cars if it looks happy. IMO, Ford got too involved... glad i have the previous generation...

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
[quote author=jalweber link=topic=138142.msg2978799#msg2978799 date=1236305749]
Yeah, not sure what they were thinking with the new styling...

I guess they think that more people think they'll buy their cars if it looks happy. IMO, Ford got too involved... glad i have the previous generation...
[/quote]

ford only has about a 13% stake in mazda. i highly doubt they had anything at all to do with the styling.

mazda could stand on its own at this point, they're highly successful.

·
Registered
27,077 Posts
nah... you're right... It's all Ford's fault. Anything people see as bad on any Mazda is automaticly Ford's fault. [/sarcasm]

·
Registered
290 Posts
New Update.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's pretty strange and risky they decided to put a happy face for a front grill on the car. I saw a 2010 sedan in person and the happy face didn't look bad. I'd have to see it on the road though.

I like the steeper slope of the top doorlines. That's in these days with many cars - CX-7, Toyota Matrix, etc...

There's a character line on the 2010 3 5 door, the rear door. I thought, 'that could really suck' if got dinged on that line - seems would be tough to have fixed. I heard PDR works best on flat surfaces.

anyhoo...

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have an 07 and test drove the 10 and I must say the refinement of the 10 is just spectacular. It is a matured 3. It really feels a bit like BMW inside. The drive is awesome as well!

If I were to get a 3 now, I'd definitely get the new 3.

But I definitely wouldn't trade my 3 for the new one because the difference isn't that much, but when it's time for a new one, I wouldn't mind getting it :)

dL

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm actually surprised you thought the '10 was a step up. I also have an '07 sedan (2.0 i touring, manual trans) and was excited to see the new 3 at the dealership. I took one out today (2.0 sedan, manual) and found the experience mixed at best.

Good: finally added a trunk release to the key fob (which now contains a cool switchblade key), quieter ride, nicer audio/cruise control interface on the steering wheel, clean look to the interior including a more driver-centric dash, interior mood lighting, nice looking new wheels

Mediocre: Quality of most of the interior plastic is a step down from '07 (specifically door moldings, lower dash pieces, center console), glove box is now smaller with a cheaper feel, clutch take-up is very light, gas gauge is now electronic and out of character, seat fabric is poorer quality than in '07

Bad: Power-assisted steering is light and floaty removing road feedback from the wheel, gear shifter slightly more notchy and vague than '07, engine sound is tinny with different and new exhaust package

Overall, the car is still a good one, but driving the '10 inclined me to love my '07 that much more. I'll avoid exterior styling commentary because beauty is in the eye of the beholder, however I was thoroughly disappointed with the driving dynamics of the new car. I understand from the recent Car and Driver review that the '10 still hits the same 0.85g on the skidpad as the previous generation, but the car achieves that number with thoroughly less of a connection between driver and road. After my test drive experience, I've decided the only thing I want to replace is the old key and fob of my '07 with the new switchblade combination key.

Anyone else drive the new 3? What do you think?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts