Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this has happened the last two times I put gas in the car: I fill up the tank like usual, go to start the car and it turns over, but won't start The first time was about 3 weeks ago and the same thing happened again today. I've had the car for over four years and these are the only times that it didn't start right up. Both times the car did eventually start after cranking, waiting a few minutes, cranking again, waiting (trying not to kill the battery). The car is driven every day, has about 60,000 miles, never had a problem till now. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Locate evap purge valve and pinch off line from evap canister.
Reason for this is that fuel from evap canister may be flooding engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Locate evap purge valve and pinch off line from evap canister.
Reason for this is that fuel from evap canister may be flooding engine.
Good advise. Bad purge valves can cause this even if there is no CEL. Do you have any codes BTW. Sometimes this issue has associated P0171 or P0441 or P0446 codes with it.
Thanks, rickkari! I haven't checked for codes, but CEL came on about a month before the starting issue first occurred. I'm just trying to gain some insight before I take the car to the shop...hoping to spend as little time and money there as possible...! Thanks again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Had this happen to me years ago and it was the purge valve on mine. Super quick and easy to replace if that ends up being the problem.

The purge valve eventually fails, so when you're filling up the tank, those vapors are being pushed through the now-failed valve and into your engine. Those vapors are so rich that your car can't start until they clear out (cranking, cranking, cranking).

Did you get a whiff of raw fuel once the car finally started?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, great info. I think the purge valve is the most likely cause of the problem. I don't remember smelling fuel on either occasion, but it's been cold and windy here, so most likely the windows were rolled up. It did behave as if it was flooded, just like back in the day when I used to mess around with Holley 4-barrels!

·
Registered
46 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts