Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I put in 6000k for my lows but now i want 3000k for my fogs. But before i go ahead and buy another kit, I want to make sure its going to fit without physically altering my fogs. I read that the older fogs (rounded) require some extra work to make it fit. So i have a few questions:

1. Will i have problems installing with 08 fogs (rectangular-ish)?

2. Is it still the same plug and play style or is there more work involved?

3. I removed my bumper for my lows, is it necessary for the fogs?

4. would another 35w kit in addition to my 35w lows cause any electrical shortages or flickering?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
860 Posts
35watt is 20watts less then what the factory system is using so you are actually using less power not more. I have the round lights and had no problem putting 3k bulbs in my car. My friend with a speed3 didn't have any problems with his either (rectangle lights). It makes it a lot easier to remove the bumper. I didn't have to remove the bumper for my lows not sure why you would since you get at them from the top not the bottom...

·
Registered
582 Posts
1. Will i have problems installing with 08 fogs (rectangular-ish)?
None whatsoever

2. Is it still the same plug and play style or is there more work involved?
Depending what brand you buy, it is all plug and play (most now are PnP)

3. I removed my bumper for my lows, is it necessary for the fogs?
It's possible to install just by taking out the under tray, but I highly recommend removing the bumper, otherwise you're gonna get really annoyed working in tight spaces lying on your back.

4. would another 35w kit in addition to my 35w lows cause any electrical shortages or flickering?
There should be none of that. However, I myself had to buy the additional wiring harness to power the fog light HID's directly to the battery. For some reason in some cars aftermarket fog HID's won't fire. Possibly because the OEM foglight wiring harness doesn't provide that initial jolt of power the HID's need.

5. how about 55w, that would work fine without any problems right?
You are correct once again. Although I wouldn't recommend the 55watt kits. Just because they're the same wattage as the OEM bulbs, it puts out A LOT more light even with the 35watt kit. Save your money and get the 35watt kit. There's no point in getting 55 vs. 35 other than to piss off oncoming traffic. The light doesn't shine very far in front of you so it's not benefiting you at all.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the information zoomzoom3, very helpful! In regards to your answer to question 4, what brand did you buy for your hid fogs, just so i know what brand to avoid because i want to not have to buy extra wiring to connect to the battery. I was thinking of getting another set of ddm's but if theres another brand that i can connect with out wiring to my battery that would be better. Thanks again.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have Apexcone/DDM kits. No matter what kit you buy you're 95% likely to have to purchase the wiring harness anyways. Like I said, the OEM wiring harness for hte fogs can't handle the large initial power needs of the HID's. For those that PM'd me, I'll respond soon I promise. (I'm at work and it's hard to be on the forums on a firetruck)

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have had mo problems running my apexcone HID's in my fog. I have 35watt 3k bulbs. They are also wired to run independent of the headlights so they turn on as soon as my car does. Never had a problem with either one not fireing up.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Forgot to mention that is without a relay.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Well for some reason my car and many others have had problems. I would just suggest getting it to save yourself the hassle later. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I just so happened to fall into a large sum of money, my 21st birthday is today! I am looking into getting some OEM fogs for my 08 sedan, where is the best place to get them? The cheapest I have seen so far is about $120 on ebay. Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Registered
373 Posts
[quote author=z00mz00m3 link=topic=140130.msg3027787#msg3027787 date=1238452376]
There is a Group Buy on here for them... $95 dollars a set for 35w kit I believe.
[/quote]
Really? Where at? Is that $95 shipped?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ohhhhh.  No, by fogs I meant the actual fog light setup, not just bulbs.  Sorry.  :lol:

EDIT: Honestly, until now, I had no idea there was a section of the forums for Group Buys only. Wish I would have known earlier, just bought a Shark Fin Antenna for $81, when I could have gotten 20% with the GB discount code. Oh well, you live you learn.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Thats why it's always a good idea to ask questions and do research before buying. As you said, live and learn. Sorry for the misunderstanding about the bulbs. If you're looking for just bulbs, they can tend to run pretty cheap :D Just look around! Good luck!

·
Registered
373 Posts
It's alright man, I probably could have made it a little more clear. Just to be clear this time, I am looking for the actual fog lights assembly, the actual parts, as of now I have nothing in my fog lights spot.

·
Registered
6,431 Posts
Ah, yeah in that case, usually ebay would be a good set up for you. I have a friend who ordered ebay fogs and I helped him install them. I'll try and get in touch with him to see which set he got. Also if you find anything good and cheap, let me know ;D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts