Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I hit an uneven part of the road doesn't matter how small I hear noises coming from the suspension like it's knocking on something I don't know what it could be I've read some forums and people have said it could be transmission motor mount or front sway bar, any ideas?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Is the sound coming from the front or the rear? If the rear. I'll bet the trailing arm bushings are shot.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Could be a worn bushing now that new links were installed -- OR -- it could be the links weren't properly tightened.

Reactions: hatch06

·
Registered
166 Posts
9 out of 10 times it is your sway bar end links. Either the ones you put on are garbage (even if new), or they were not torqued down correctly. If it is not those, it could be a worn ball joint, or worn out bushings. Frankly since your car is 14 years old you really should be looking at a total front suspension refresh/replacement. Then your troubles should be gone.

·
Registered
34 Posts
sway bar links are trouble on mazdas, they don't have grease fittings and are 14mm! Get moog 22ml and the clunk will stop I'm betting.

·
Registered
08 mazda3 2.0L 4A
1 Posts
Whenever I hit an uneven part of the road doesn't matter how small I hear noises coming from the suspension like it's knocking on something I don't know what it could be I've read some forums and people have said it could be transmission motor mount or front sway bar, any ideas?
I had the same issue except mine was after installing 4 new tires. it wasn't until I used a video scope on different possible locations that I discovered it was actually my struts, the top bearing was going out and banging.
New to the forum and haven't updated my profile yet. I'm a certified mechanic for many years. My whip is a 08 mazda3 I 2.0L 197,673 miles (I've only owned it for 6 months and put 6,000 miles on it). Currently replacing transmission, struts, both cv shafts, rear brake bulb recepticals (previous owned used wrong bulbs and burnt the lenses & holders).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice. I just replaced the entire suspension on my 2014 gt. Had to cut off sway bar links and shocks. Took hours! That pic on the bottom was the rear shock retainer around the shock pin. Completely rust welded. Sits 1 inch lower and handles great with the godspeed track springs. No rattles or clunks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
07 mazda 3 here, i love my car! that being said, i had the very same thing you are describing. after spending 6-800 bucks on virtually everything on the car that could be removed and purchased on amazon \ ebay i was still hearing it. sounds like the whole thing is banging around under there just no kind of real pattern other than the literal bumps on any surface? lying on my back under the car for the millionth time it seemed...i happened to brush against the exhaust which moved enough to cause it to touch the underside of the car. it made a faint noise exactly like what i had heard for at least a couple months while doin the various repairs. instead of rushing to grab my phone and start ordering i grabbed some tie wire and secured the exhaust to the hanger and decided to test my theory...all new front end including new cv axles, shocks/struts, completely new braking system and that wire totally silenced my issue lol ...i did go ahead and purchase new exhaust hanger bushings afterwards which made me feel like i hadnt blown a lot of money for things a car with 87k should not need 😁 maybe that's what is wrong with yours too good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts