Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,
I have been a long member of this forum since 07 and I haven't posted much but today i felt the need to get back on here after leaving the dealership. I had a few maintenance services done today and had to pay close to $3000.00 which left me feeling a bit violated and robbed and wanted to see what you guys think. This way i can warn several guys i know who are on this forum and from the northern virginia area.

VVT/TIMING CHAIN/TENSIONER & BELT = $1700.00($770 parts and $930 for 7.5 hours labor)

IN CABIN AIR FILTER REPLACEMENT =$67.00 ($27 parts and $40 labor)

FUEL INDUCTION CLEANING =$180 ($47 parts and $132 labor)

EGR VALVE REPLACEMENT = $578 ($455 parts and $121 labor)

IGNITION COIL and SPARK PLUG REPLACEMENTS = $461 ($173 parts and $288 labor)

I've done a lot of research and found many people paid between $1200-$1400 for their VVT/TIMING CHAIN/TENSIONER&BELT, their service manager tried to convince me that their parts are not the same as the parts that "mazda" sells on Amazon because those parts are not good quality thats why they're cheaper. If anyone works with the mazda or has more knowledge on this please feel free and share.

·
Registered
270 Posts
... I had a few maintenance services done today ....
I TRULY hope you'll say that you brought your vehicle in because there was something wrong with it. PLEASE don't say they called all of this work routine :nerd: maintenance.

I'm guessing I don't want to know the answer to that question.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I TRULY hope you'll say that you brought your vehicle in because there was something wrong with it. PLEASE don't say they called all of this work routine :nerd: maintenance.

I'm guessing I don't want to know the answer to that question.
Yes, there was the engine code for EGR and in addition the clicking/tapping noise from the loose timing chain was getting louder and louder. The car has 175,250 miles and i believe i was lucky for not having the chain break on me. But my main issue was the cost for the VVT/TIMING CHAIN/TENSIONER&BELT

·
Registered
270 Posts
AFA your question about the price of the timing chain work, you didn't say if those other prices were stealerships or indy shops. If the other prices were indy shops, the differential would be typical and not at all surprising.

What I'm really blown away by is that you paid 3K when the only thing actually going on (according to what you wrote) was an EGR code, and some noise. I'm not aware of any history of Mazda chains stretching to the point of failure. What conversation took place regarding the chain? Did they do any physical diagnosis before advising you that it needed to be replaced? And what reason did they give for replacing the coil?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AFA your question about the price of the timing chain work, you didn't say if those other prices were stealerships or indy shops. If the other prices were indy shops, the differential would be typical and not at all surprising.

What I'm really blown away by is that you paid 3K when the only thing actually going on (according to what you wrote) was an EGR code, and some noise. I'm not aware of any history of Mazda chains stretching to the point of failure. What conversation took place regarding the chain? The chain was loose and was close to breaking and its also rattling loudly. Did they do any physical diagnosis before advising you that it needed to be replaced? YES And what reason did they give for replacing the coil?CEL code P0300 which is a random misfire code.
well just by searching vvt replacement/tensioner/timing chain on other mazda forums, most i saw someone paid for is $1500. the EGR replacement was due to CEL code P0300 which is a random misfire code. The code first appeared a year ago 25k miles ago and I continued to ignore it. The reason I panicked and had them do all the work was because the car has over 175K miles and i'm not really ready to buy a new car. The last time i did any major tune up was around 95k miles and figured its time for the next. I just can't help feeling ripped off because all the parts they listed i found 30% to 45% cheaper on Amazon but their service department manager tries convincing me that those parts are not of same quality, and that the mazda account that sells these parts on Amazon is a 3rd party company.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
The thing that gets me is why they charged you $288 labor to change the spark plugs when everything you would need to remove to access the plugs would already been apart for the timing chain/VVT work. If the shop I work at did the plugs in addition to the chain the labor would have been probably .5 hr extra.

A genuine Mazda part is a genuine Mazda part, no matter where you buy it the quality is the same. You can also get aftermarket parts and generally if you stick to a major brand the quality is good. Some of them are the exact same part you would buy at the dealer with the OE information removed from the part.

That said you really should have shopped around and got several quotes before letting that dealer touch your car. We have actually had to fix work that dealers have done incorrectly so this idea that they are "the best" place to get work done is a myth.

·
Registered
633 Posts
That is the stealership for you. Have not been on here in awhile and gonna be back around. I stayed out in VA for 9 years. Had my timing chain and VVT done under warranty. There is a defect with the VVT where a pin in it can come loose allowing the timing chain to slack and lead to more issues. This is why the warranty was extended to 70k for VVT/timing chain issues and also smoking turbo. I have a post on here somewhere about all this.

I also dealt with the EGR issue. Mine clogged up and had insufficient flow. I had to pull the EGR and tube. The Tube was fully clogged. cleaned out and no issues after.

You should of shopped around or gone ahead and bought the parts online and found a good mechanic to replace. NEVER TRUST THE STEALERSHIP!

One of my best ways to save is buy the stuff online and do it myself or have someone I trust do it.

I do agree that labor for some should be next to nothing because it is part of the process with taking apart and putting back together. Basically valve cover with coil packs and plugs is gonna be removed to replace timing chain so why charge labor on both.

That manager is also full of crap. A lot of dealers actually sell their parts online to make money and they do discount them as well. You can save money buying parts online. Can also save buy finding a trustworthy mechanic other than the dealer if you cant DIY. The dealer over charges on parts and labor.

The cabin filter, coil packs, and plugs are easy to change. The EGR is not to bad but you got to drain coolant to pull it.

Yes the stealership did gouge you. But you are in good shape for another 100k on the car now. I would keep the car for awhile and get as much of the cash you lost out of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts