Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe be a dumb question. But, can my pzev material be removed? Whats in my car anyways that makes it pzev? I moved from Cali to Oregon and theres no emissions where I live!

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Maybe be a dumb question. But, can my pzev material be removed?
take out the main cat and put in a resonator, replace the last silencer (muffler next to the tip) with a straight pipe.

Whats in my car anyways that makes it pzev?
extra exhaust muffler and a small ECU tweak by mazda to probably run a tad leaner than it already does

I moved from Cali to Oregon and theres no emissions where I live!
<starts packing for Oregon>

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I thought there was a charcoal type canister on our fuel system for fuel vapors though I don't think it affects performance.

Another idea is the EGR system and how the purge solenoid valve keeps fudging up on my car. If I had a choice, I'd remove that thing if it had no negative affects other than pollution... heh

Hopefully, PZEV doesn't put extra sensors that will cause CELs when removing certain parts.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
You can remove the second cat even with the 3rd o2 sensor after the deleted cat and have no isseus.

As far as exhausts go, like bean said, pull the extra muffler out, and thats bout it...

I believe our TB's are also slightly smaller too, possibly the stock intake being different as well.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
yea, the purge valves are different with PZEVs. I don't think the intake system is affected- just what comes out.

you can google what mazda did on the PZEV ECUs. Most of what I found were specs on the UK 1.6Ls.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool. Thanks for the replies guys. I kinda thought they had done some ecu tuning myself. I do atleast have a borla cat back on. So, I gained SOME power back. I wanna put back on an intake. Living it Oregon we got ALOT of rain. So.... a cai isnt possible for me. Well it is. But, I will not take a risk with all the rain. My only choice is a short ram. I was thinking of going with the cosmo racing sri with injen heatshield on it and aem dryflow filter. Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
They also used different piston rings for better sealing, but that does not effect power production of the motor. The only power production related changes are ECU tweaks and the extra cat and muffler.
-Matt

·
Registered
215 Posts
so.... if you were to find a wrecked non pzev 3 and swapped the ECU's then this would gain back that that lost hp and give you the "better" tune?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
If you were given two different 3's to drive, one a PZEV the other not, you could not tell the difference between the two. There's not a person on this board that could consistently make the right guess as to which car was the PZEV.

Just enjoy the fact that you're killing the earth a little less then everybody else, including Prius drivers. :p

Darryl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts