Mazda3 Forums banner

which is faster?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which one do you guys think is faster car...
04 civic si or mazda3s

i was originally deciding between getting a mazda3 or a 04 civic si. i ended up going for the mazda. but i was curious which is the faster of the two?

EDIT: Title and moved to Mazda3

·
Registered
773 Posts
As I was writing a reply to your post when I realized that you are speaking about the US Civic SI model which is our SiR. Therefore I do not know which would win.

In my book it says that the Civic SI does the 0-60mph (0-100km) in 7.8sec.

and the '3' 160hp 2.3L does it in 9sec.

---

Before I get 100 reply's telling me off, I want to specify that the 0-60mph obtained by many other mags are of 7.4sec for the Mazda '3'. Therefore you can take my numbers as a "basic guide" to determining the winner, but don't base yourself on me only.

·
Registered
396 Posts
so then, where did you get 9 seconds????

·
Registered
396 Posts
i personally think the Civic SI/SIR is faster than the mazda3 Hatch
From the launch, the hatch might be ahead, but at the 1/4mile, the Civic will probably be in front.

but, i think the sedan b/c its lighter would be even with the SI, maybe even faster. but probably a drivers race.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Car & Driver gives the Mz3 Hatch a 7.4 0-60 with a 16 second sprint in the 1/4 mile. Road & Track gave the Civic Si a 7.6 0-60 with a 15.9 in the quarter. They are the same as far as I'm concerned. I think a race would come down to the driver's skill.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
isn't the Civic SiR (or Si in the US) a lot lighter than the 3? I never really trust those number posted in C&D or R&T, and altho I don't really like the Civic, I still think it's quicker than the 3

·
Registered
310 Posts
The sedan would be faster than the 5-door, too.

·
Registered
302 Posts
OK since I have seen this way too many times on alot of forums you should all check the weight on your vehicle if you believe the sedan is that much lighter....it is only about 25 lbs. lighter on comparably equipped 4-door and 5-door 2.3L. Given that any weight loss is good for racing 25lbs will not make a difference to even the most highly experienced driver, and as far the the Si vs. our beloved 3, the 3 has won the 4 or so times I have lined up with a friend of mines stock Si.

·
Registered
310 Posts
25 lbs. could make some difference in the 100th of a second...

·
Registered
168 Posts
6_funk said:
The AJAC tests had the 0-60 for the 3 at around 9seconds. IIRC, the 2.0L 3 was actually fractionally faster than the 2.3L sport (which I find a little hard to believe) :roll: .

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
jintegra said:
6_funk said:
The AJAC tests had the 0-60 for the 3 at around 9seconds. IIRC, the 2.0L 3 was actually fractionally faster than the 2.3L sport (which I find a little hard to believe) :roll: .
could be because the 2.3L has those heavier 17", moonroof, a/c, all those other options which makes the car that much heavier+slower?

·
Registered
396 Posts
no way it could be 9 seconds.
i've been in a nine second car (my 99 A/T Camry)

the 3 is a lot faster. When i really try to launch properly off the line.
it seems like 7seconds, but probably is around 8s.
i'm sure the pros can do low-mid 7's.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
In the seat, they both feel identical. Its personal preference from there.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I highly doubt it's 9, it's far to brisk to 100KPH to be a 9 second speed. Based on my previous experience with various speeds of cars I'd say it feels like a solid mid to high 7 second car to 100KPH.

And the real life example that crzyone01 cited is pretty much proof enough.

And 25 pounds could effect a car in a race true enough but 25# would likely only really make a difference in the 1000th of a second. The general rule of thumb for dragracers is that for every 100# you can drop it's worth a 10th of a second. So .10 for every second would mean .025 for 25# in the quarter. You can vary by that much just by a fly farting in front of your car as you raced towards the traps. ;)

·
Registered
947 Posts
Could these 9-second times be the result from a second shift? According to car and driver, the Mazda3 does 9.5mph for ever 1000RPM in second gear. That means at 6500(redline), the car is pulling 61.75 mph. And if you shift *just* before the redline, that means you need a second shift to get to 62mph(100kmph).

A second shift plus some time in third gear would almost certainly stretch out the acceleration time.

·
Registered
310 Posts
That Mazda3 can't go over 60 in 1st... can it?

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
Mazda lists the dry weight of the sedan to be 1253 (standard transmission) sport version is 1282 (standard as well) difference of 29 kilos or 63.8 pounds. I will agree that even 60 pounds does not make a significant difference but a difference it is.

I wonder how much weight you could strip out of each car by taking out the jack and the spare? Probably another 50lbs or so?

·
Registered
16,466 Posts
LeeLee said:
Could these 9-second times be the result from a second shift? According to car and driver, the Mazda3 does 9.5mph for ever 1000RPM in second gear. That means at 6500(redline), the car is pulling 61.75 mph. And if you shift *just* before the redline, that means you need a second shift to get to 62mph(100kmph).

A second shift plus some time in third gear would almost certainly stretch out the acceleration time.
Ooops sorry to double post, LeeLee if these idiots were shifting at only 6500RPM then we could kill their times by taking the thing to fuel cutoff at 7200RPM. The moment I learned thats where fuel cutoff was I tried doing it again you can about 110km/h in second probably in just about the same time you need to shift into third just to get to 100 if you are shifting at redline.

·
Registered
106 Posts
LeeLee said:

:idea: I was wondering if the difference in time is because of the units measured.100km is a touch higher speed than 60mph. Canadian and European test both quote under 9 secs and both use km as measurement. U.S test are low to mid 7's but use mph.
Can anyone confirm this.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts