Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum (http://www.mazda3forums.com/forumindex.php)
-   Powertrain for 2010-2013 (http://www.mazda3forums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=667)
-   -   2011 Hard Start (http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=766654)

IronMazda3 02-26-2020 10:36 PM

2011 Hard Start

Good evening, Everyone, and thank you for welcoming me to the forums.

I have a 2011 Mazda 3, a daily driver too and from work. It's an i, and an automatic. In the last month, I've started having issues where the car will not start on the first crank, but subsequent cranks are fine until ignition (within 2-3 seconds). Seems to happen on cold starts or after sitting for several hours.

I have hooked up to a Zurich ZR-Pro scanner, and no codes are being thrown. I did find out that the upstream O2 sensor was reading way out of spec, so I changed that (big difference in how smooth the car has been running). I also changed the coil packs and spark plugs. Battery was changed in the last 3 years.

From reading numerous posts, it seems to be most people are having issues with the fuel pump relay. However, not much information on the 2010-2014 models on where it is at. Am I going in the right direction or historically is this something else? I can't see where this is a fuel pump going bad scenario, or is it? I would like to try swapping the fuel pump relay if possible.

Any insight or others who have had the issue and figured out, please let me know. I appreciate the help.

m3iguy 02-27-2020 09:08 AM

Try priming the pump BEFORE the first actual start try by turning the key to ON for a couple of seconds, back off, and then go ahead and try to start it.

Michelle0984 03-04-2020 06:50 AM

Had the same issue about a year back and it was the battery even though it was replaced 2 years prior... Since then no issues and mine is the 2012.... The issue I have is the gas mileage is absolutely ridiculous and by ridiculous I’m better off driving my Ram.... getting under 400k to a tank... I changed all spark plugs and coil packs next is the O2 sensor and hope that makes somewhat of a difference if not then the Ram will be the new commuter lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michelle0984 03-04-2020 06:53 AM

And car is definitely running rich since it leaves black crap all over my bumper right where it comes out of the exhaust... Thought maybe it was the piece of crap intake I put on there that wasn’t helping my mileage but to go to 400k a tank still wouldn’t make much sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk