Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum (http://www.mazda3forums.com/forumindex.php)
-   Mazda3 (Axela) (http://www.mazda3forums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Oil Consumption? (http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=753626)

SoCalJim 10-09-2017 06:34 PM

Oil Consumption?

My 2005 manual Mazda3 is going through 2 quarts of oil a week. There's no smoke or leakage of any kind. Any suggestions on what it could be?

shipo 10-09-2017 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalJim (Post 10107378)
My 2005 manual Mazda3 is going through 2 quarts of oil a week. There's no smoke or leakage of any kind. Any suggestions on what it could be?

How many miles per week?

theblooms 10-09-2017 07:34 PM

2 quarts a week is A LOT, unless you're driving 10,000 miles per week.

That motor ain't long for this world. :(

r60man 10-27-2017 08:51 AM

Most likely it is the Positive crankcase vent (PCV). Typically lasts about 100K then the engines suck oil, without burning it. The part itself is not expensive but it is not an easy job. Dealerships will do it for about $250 - 300 but call and get that in writing first.

the_big_dill 12-28-2017 10:49 AM

I have been breaking my head over what is causing the disappearing oil on these cars.

I have two 2006 Mazda3 hatches. I can tell which one has been better cared for as only one of them has oil consumption issues.

Most people found the PCV valve to correct their issues, but is not the case for me... and I have not found the answer to this problem in years, just keep an eye on the oil level.

Good luck!

Datsun1600 12-28-2017 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalJim (Post 10107378)

The engine is toast, and your O2 sensors and catalytic converters will be as well soon. Read some of the threads about oil consumption and read the threads about engine swaps. The early mazda3 engines will eventually start 'consuming' oil and there is no fix.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but swapping a mazda engine with a Ford Duratec engine that is more reliable is the way to go. You'll get a lot of support on these forums as many have done the swap and already done all the hard research. I just completed my swap and it feels great!

p.s. New model Ford engines are way more plentiful and way cheaper and have much lower mileage than older Mazda engines. 2.0L/2.3L/2.5L Ford and Mazda engines share the same block, so they are very compatible with each other.

the_big_dill 12-28-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datsun1600 (Post 10118153)
The engine is toast, and your O2 sensors and catalytic converters will be as well soon. Read some of the threads about oil consumption and read the threads about engine swaps. The early mazda3 engines will eventually start 'consuming' oil and there is no fix.

There is always a fix, im just baffled by there not being a solution even though there are so many people with this issue.

shipo 12-28-2017 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_big_dill (Post 10118169)
There is always a fix, im just baffled by there not being a solution even though there are so many people with this issue.

Yes, there is a fix and the 2.5 liter Ford Duratec engines (and the few 2.5 liter non-SkyActiv Mazda engines as well) had those fixes built into the motor; the 2.3 is not so endowed and cannot be retrofitted.

BTW, the issue does not seem to affect the 2.0 liter engines in the Mazda3, just the 2.3 liter mills.

the_big_dill 12-28-2017 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 10118257)
Yes, there is a fix and the 2.5 liter Ford Duratec engines (and the few 2.5 liter non-SkyActiv Mazda engines as well) had those fixes built into the motor; the 2.3 is not so endowed and cannot be retrofitted.

BTW, the issue does not seem to affect the 2.0 liter engines in the Mazda3, just the 2.3 liter mills.

Is that something you know from personal experience? I too have never seen the 2.0L engines have these issues, but I have not been prowling on the 3 forums.

If I may add, seems like this also boils down to maintenance as well. From what I gathered, people who tend to care of their cars while they are still low mileage tend to not see this issue.

My moms 06 3 w/ the 2.3 has 287k and has been consuming oil like a pig since 240k when we got it. Also, the oil gets black after 500km after an oil change and smells pungent (aggressive) when i pull the dipstick... very peculiar. But I can tell that the previous owners of that car did not care for it.

My 06 3 has gone many more kms and consumes no oil. In fact, between oil changes the oil stays a clean color and smells fresh.

One clue i have found is that my moms intake is covered in fresh oil all the time, mine is dry. I have cleaned the throttle bodies multiple times and is something to take away.

shipo 12-28-2017 05:54 PM

I've been on Mazda3 related forums since I bought my 2009 Mazda3 i TVE 5-Speed back in the fall of 2008; I think I've heard of a single 2.0 liter engine failing, and that was clearly due to lack of maintenance. Regarding the 2.3, as I understand it, there are two main issues; the thin/low quality cylinder liners and oil flow (both of which were addressed in the 2.5 liter engines), even still, some engines manage 200,000 miles easily, others to Tango Uniform in well under 100,000 miles, even with meticulous maintenance.