Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum (http://www.mazda3forums.com/forumindex.php)
-   Release / Pricing (http://www.mazda3forums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Asking for price feedback, please - 2017 Hatch GT Manual (http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=746961)

Mazda3Rookie 05-08-2017 04:03 PM

Asking for price feedback, please - 2017 Hatch GT Manual

Hello fellow Mazda3 lovers. I have not posted for a while, but still a VERY happy owner of a Titanium Gray 2006 Hatch Manual Touring.

After almost 12 years, 171, 500 miles and so many adventures together, time has come to retire the best car I ever had.

I have decided to buy a 2017 Mazda3 Hatch Grand Touring, Manual, Red Soul Metallic, with black interior and Premium Equipment Package.

I am negotiating with three dealers in the area (via email only, and having a blast doing it) and got one down to $23,000 + sales tax. The $23,000 includes the extra charge for the color, Premium Equipment Package, destination charge and all fees (doc, RMV, etc.) and takes into account all of the discounts and incentives they are saying I can have as a current Mazda owner.

Considering that the car + exterior color + Premium Equipment package is ~$25,800 at MSRP or ~$24,500 at "invoice" prices, not even including destination charge and fees, I believe that $23,000 all included + tax out of the door is not bad.

What say you? Did anyone recently buy a Hatch in a similar configuration or is negotiating with a dealer for one?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to another decade or more with my new ride!!!!

allfiredup 05-14-2017 01:35 AM

Not sure if you've made a move yet (since this post is almost one week old), but $23k is a good deal based on the info I've seen. I have an online subscription to Consumer Reports and they have a car pricing/buying service based on TrueCar. I used a Boston zip code and equipped the car you describe and came up with the following-

MSRP- $26,670
CR "Program Estimate" - $23,543 (including $1,500 Customer Cash and $500 Owner Loyalty Cash)

The Edmunds.com True Market Value price is $24,209 (minus the $500 Owner Loyalty making it $23,709).

So either way, $23k sounds like a very good price. As long as they don't charge excessive/bogus fees at the dealer, it sounds like you're getting a solid deal!

I've been shopping for almost the same exact car. The only difference is that I want the Eternal Blue Mica and Automatic Transmission. I hate to admit the latter, but a hip and ankle fracture a few years ago have made it a necessity for my 70-mile daily commute.

And it appears that you and I are replacing the same exact car! I have a 2006 Mazda3 s Touring 5-door (5-speed manual) and it's Titanium Gray. I bought it new in 12/2005 and it is still a great car. I'm planning to hang onto mine and drive it one or two days per week. I have a very strong sentimental attachment (and it only has 110k miles on it).....

Right now, the challenge is actually locating the car I want. I've found more than a dozen in my color with the Premium Equipment Package, but they all have the Parchment interior. That's a deal-breaker for me. I found one with Black interior about 450 miles away, but it has the i-ACTIVESENSE Safety Package and i-ELOOP Package. That's $2k in features that I don't want, so again, a deal-breaker. I suppose I'll be waiting for one that I want to show up sooner or later.

BTW, I liked the old days when you could get a Mazda3 with any interior color...as long as it was Black! :wink2:

GerryBuc 05-15-2017 11:36 AM

I think you've got a fair deal, there. If they can get you the car you want, I'd say take the plunge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Mazda3Rookie 05-26-2017 01:53 PM

Thanks guys! I am at the dealer right now to leave a deposit. Final price $22,875 + taxes.

They said the car should arrive next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Test drove a Grand Touring manual with also the i-Loop package, Deep Crystal Blue Mica. As fun to drive as my 2006. Lighter clutch and with a different feel, mine is more "spongy", although not in a bad way. Steering felt good too, did not seem too different being completely electric compared to the electrohydraulic in my car.

Nice cockpit and seats, not crazy about leather in general, but Mazda got it right. The shape is perfect for my body type, no sliding around. Had a little fun on a couple of curving highway ramps :-)

The only very minor let down is the bottom of the trunk. Gone is the solid two piece with the configurable shelf. Now it is a one piece softish cover. I suppose a concession to lower cabin noise.

Oh, and the back doors finally have a wider opening angle. That was really the only irritating thing in my 2006 hatch. Much easier to get in and out.

Mazda3Rookie 05-29-2017 02:19 PM

Hi folks, just came back from the dealer after having signed all the papers. Final price out of the door: $23,772.50 including Massachusetts 6.25% sales tax. That takes into account the meager $500 they gave me to trade in my old 3.

I could have tried to sell it, but it got serious rust on the rear wheel arches, both side, and some is starting to show also on the front hood, just to the left of the grille.

Any potential buyer would have used that as a leverage to nag on the price (I would do the same :-)), I decided it was not worth the aggravation. The only thing that annoys me more then buying a car is selling one...

If my son had already a license I would have kept it for him (he is 14). My daughters and wife do not drive manual cars and we already have a 2006 Hyundai Elantra we purchased used three years ago for the daughters.

On the plus side, I talked the sales guy into throwing in for free the original all-weather floor mats, $150 list price. Definitely NOT worth that much, but they actually are pretty sturdy and look very cool. The next best thing would have been the custom-made Weather Tech mats, and those are not cheap either.

With the crappy New England weather I would have got some kind of heavy duty mats anyway, at least those won't spoil the overall look of the car.

I am going to pick it up this Saturday, the dealer had to do some serious search to find it, but it is coming. I already have the VIN and everything.

Sooo, and the end , this is what I am getting:

2017 Mazda3 Grand Touring Hatch
Manual
Red Soul Metallic
Black leather
Premium Equipment Package

AntBee 05-31-2017 02:14 PM

Congratulations on your new vehicle! Sounds as if you got a great deal on it, too. Have fun... ZOOM... ZOOM!

Mazda3Rookie 06-01-2017 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntBee (Post 10088010)
Congratulations on your new vehicle! Sounds as if you got a great deal on it, too. Have fun... ZOOM... ZOOM!

Thank you AntBee! Today I got email confirmation from the dealer my car has arrived. Even got a picture of it in their lot :-)

I will probably go pick it up this Saturday morning, hopefully sooner.

Just to add a different perspective to the price considerations, using one of the many online tools available I calculated that the $17,100 I had paid for my old 2006 Mazda3 Hatchback Touring (no other options) in November of 2005 are equivalent to $21,410 in today's money.

It means that I am getting a Grand Touring (which is already loaded pretty well), plus the Premium Equipment Package for less than $1,500 more than what my current car would cost today if still available new. Just saying...