Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum (http://www.mazda3forums.com/forumindex.php)
-   Autocross, Track, and Dyno Results (http://www.mazda3forums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   2015 Mazda 3 for STF ?? (http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=678577)

andres3165 06-01-2015 02:38 PM

2015 Mazda 3 for STF ??
 
I did not want to hack the other Mazda 3 in STF thread, so after driving the new 3 with the 2.5 engine both auto with paddles and manual I was very impressed with the handling and power. The auto version shifts really quick.

The rep said that with the new Skyactive design they are lighter than older versions (is this true?).

With the new trend in STF of having more powerful cars, I would think that the new 3 could be a good project.

Any opinions?

Thank

Andres

mazda3az 06-01-2015 03:07 PM

Weight
 
I think the 2015 is lighter than the prior generation, but still 100's of pounds heavier than the Gen 1 cars. My 2006 3i is 2600# in race trim, and I have all stock seats, battery and interior. This is true scale weight, not from a website.

Adam3s 06-01-2015 04:08 PM

Mazda added a lot of tech and creature comfort content to the 2.5L car which is why it starts around 25K and also rolls off the lot weighing around 3,000 lbs. Plus it has a longer wheelbase than a 1st Gen Mazda6.

Adam3s 06-01-2015 05:17 PM

Did some weight checking, even the base stripper 2015 2.0L SV model that starts at around 17K with no tachometer is heavier than a 2004-2006 2.3L, let alone the 2.0L model. 2007 and up got heavier, so the first 3 years of Mazda3 are the best from a weight standpoint.

andres3165 06-01-2015 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam3s (Post 9816929)
Did some weight checking, even the base stripper 2015 2.0L SV model that starts at around 17K with no tachometer is heavier than a 2004-2006 2.3L, let alone the 2.0L model. 2007 and up got heavier, so the first 3 years of Mazda3 are the best from a weight standpoint.

Thanks, what do you have?

Like this: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/an...033965022.html

Andres

Cab0oze 06-01-2015 10:34 PM

I honestly can't imagine the 07-09s being much heavier than the 04-06. It is pretty much the same car, there were no major upgrades (that would affect weight) in terms of tech/features and the body is the same size, just minor styling changes.

Personally I would say get a 08.5-09 since they are the newest and have all of the fixes from the previous years (including fixes to help prevent rust)

Adam3s 06-01-2015 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andres3165 (Post 9817193)
Thanks, what do you have?

Andres

I have an 06 2.3L sport model w/sunroof and extra weight here and there. Currently weighs 2,665. A full monty 04-06 2.3L Mazda3 built for STF would have no problem being 2,600 lbs or less.

Adam3s 06-01-2015 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andres3165 (Post 9817193)

Yeah, mine is like that one, except my car has the sunroof.

Adam3s 06-01-2015 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cab0oze (Post 9817209)
I honestly can't imagine the 07-09s being much heavier than the 04-06. It is pretty much the same car, there were no major upgrades (that would affect weight) in terms of tech/features and the body is the same size, just minor styling changes.

Edmunds and other online sources state there is a significant weight difference between 04-6 and 07-09. Scales at the national autocross events have confirmed it too. Hedderick's 2008 with no sunroof weighed in at right around 2,700 lbs race weight. My 2006 weighed in at 2,665 with a sunroof and 10 lb heavier battery than David's. Other than that, pretty similarly prepped. I'm going to say the sunroof and all it's ancillary equipment have to add at least 25 lbs to my car so that is ~70 lb weight difference.

Cab0oze 06-02-2015 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam3s (Post 9817289)
Edmunds and other online sources state there is a significant weight difference between 04-6 and 07-09. Scales at the national autocross events have confirmed it too. Hedderick's 2008 with no sunroof weighed in at right around 2,700 lbs race weight. My 2006 weighed in at 2,665 with a sunroof and 10 lb heavier battery than David's. Other than that, pretty similarly prepped. I'm going to say the sunroof and all it's ancillary equipment have to add at least 25 lbs to my car so that is ~70 lb weight difference.

Where they the same trim (e.g. did one car have the BOSE system installed)? Both had spare tires/jacks in the trunk? Same stock wheels? Etc? I have a hard time believing there is 40lbs difference stock vs stock. But even so, lets say it is 40lbs (which I doubt), that isn't enough to ignore a good deal on a newer car... If you care that much about a couple extra pounds, maybe the driver should go on a diet! ;)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
8