Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum (http://www.mazda3forums.com/forumindex.php)
-   Autocross, Track, and Dyno Results (http://www.mazda3forums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Brake Pads For Autocross/DD (http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=621386)

ibob991 04-21-2014 11:45 AM

Brake Pads For Autocross/DD

Hello everyone,

here is my current situation: I just replaced the my rotors and brake pads on my 3, due to the lack of braking power I felt I had during the last 2 events. I had a pair of akebono euro and proact laying around from a purchase I made on the forums. Tried them out at an event this past weekend and didn't notice much of a difference. I'm not sure if they are completely broken in yet, so that may be an issue. I'm wondering what everyone here in STF runs for pads and your experience with different pads. I'm also wondering if it would be a better idea to just replace the fronts with something a little more aggressive ( not sure if mixing pads is ok or not). Any and all advice is welcome.

PS: At this current time, it is not possible for me to swap to speed 3 calipers as I know many people do.

mazda3az 04-21-2014 11:59 AM

Brakes for Autocross

Personally I've never felt like at an Autocross that I've not had enough brake. Tire maybe, but not brake. I've even got the 3i, and can at any point achieve maximum braking on any course (no ABS too).

And I use an aftermarket stock-equivalent pad.

Or do you road race?

Adam3s 04-21-2014 02:12 PM

I've been running EBC Yellows up front and Hawk HPS pads in the rear the past couple of years and have been happy with the setup. I agree with Scott that tire grip is usually the limiting factor in how well you can slow the car while autocrossing, however if you want something that is noticeably more aggressive than oem but still quite streetable, the Yellow pads fit the bill nicely.

ibob991 04-21-2014 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazda3az (Post 9281170)
Personally I've never felt like at an Autocross that I've not had enough brake. Tire maybe, but not brake. I've even got the 3i, and can at any point achieve maximum braking on any course (no ABS too).

Or do you road race?

I have a 3I and no ABS as well. I just feel like the pads have no bite. A few instructors that have driven the car as well feel that the car could use more grab.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam3s (Post 9281394)
I've been running EBC Yellows up front and Hawk HPS pads in the rear the past couple of years and have been happy with the setup. I agree with Scott that tire grip is usually the limiting factor in how well you can slow the car while autocrossing, however if you want something that is noticeably more aggressive than oem but still quite streetable, the Yellow pads fit the bill nicely.

Do you think it would be ok to run the yellows on the front with the akebonos on the rear?

Adam3s 04-22-2014 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibob991 (Post 9282082)
Do you think it would be ok to run the yellows on the front with the akebonos on the rear?

Yes, that would be fine and I think it will give you what you're looking for.

PZ 04-22-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazda3az (Post 9281170)

Or do you road race?

I'll second the stock pad opinion. So much that when it was time to replace front and rear (at 102K and 125K respectively) I ordered the pads from Mazda.

mazda3az 04-22-2014 01:45 PM

Be advised.....

When you mix and match brake pad sets, from different manufacturers, you run the risk of upsetting the balance of the brakes. My assumption is that pads from one manufacturer are designed and tested to work well together.

I have heard of cases where some may have had a brake imbalance, and went to two different pads to try to correct that issue.

ibob991 04-24-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazda3az (Post 9283146)
Be advised.....

When you mix and match brake pad sets, from different manufacturers, you run the risk of upsetting the balance of the brakes. My assumption is that pads from one manufacturer are designed and tested to work well together.

I have heard of cases where some may have had a brake imbalance, and went to two different pads to try to correct that issue.

worse case, if the ebc yellows don't work out, I could just throw the akebono's back on the car in the front.

brandini 04-24-2014 12:06 PM

Be sure to scuff the discs with a non-stainless pad to help remove the old pad material or you'll have negative affects of mixing friction material.

miata_racer 04-24-2014 01:45 PM

EBC pads come with an abrasive crap coating on them that's supposed to do that. Take the rotors and have them turned with new pads. That's the way to do it right.

As for pads, ya I have Advance Auto Parts Gold or Platinum pads on my 3 (can't remember which end is which) and they work ok. I like performance pads because they have different bite characteristics.

I used to love the Axxis ULT(imate) pads till I had an issue with them on my protege about 4 years ago, haven't used them since. Carbotech makes good pads, but for non track use I prefer the bang for the buck of the EBC. The Greens work well for all kinds. I've used the yellows on multiple cars and they work well, but if the car won't see track duty I don't see the need. They are on the front of my MS3, rear of my Miata and all 4 corners of my dad's Boxster S.

Hawk HP+ will go on the STF car next, but only because of contingency. Otherwise I wouldn't run them. Still might not.