Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum (http://www.mazda3forums.com/forumindex.php)
-   Autocross, Track, and Dyno Results (http://www.mazda3forums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Ground Control Coilover Kit Install (http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=563498)

mazda3az 11-10-2013 12:09 PM

Ground Control Coilover Kit Install

I have one of the first GC coil-over kits for our cars, and am in the middle of the installation. I say "middle", because I ran into an issue I need some feedback on.

I think many of you are familiar with the design concept of these; a threaded sleeve that slides over the shock body, with an adjustable height large nut to set ride height. I bought the set designed for use with the Koni yellow shocks. Apparently I am the first customer to put these on a Gen 1 car; they are advertised/designed for the "2010+ MS3".

Got everything out and off, ready to go, when I noticed that at the top of my Koni yellows, the round retaining "nut" is about 1/16" larger than the shock body, thus 1/16" larger than the sleeve that needs to fit underneath it.

My years of experience fixing stuff like this says to simply file the item down to the required size. Do you agree? I see no way to get this sleeve where it needs to be otherwise.

A related question is this....... These Konis I bought used, and are likely about three to four years old. Are the newer Konis available now designed such that this retaining "nut" at the top of the shock body is now the same size as the shock body, thus no filing/grinding necessary?

The instructions mention only cutting off the original spring seat from the shocks, nothing about filing the top of the shock nut.

Experiences, opinions, and related expertise appreciated about this.

Thx......

philrab 11-10-2013 12:50 PM

My only worry is grinding off so much material that you structurally weaken that nut. I'm not as familiar with Koni, but in Bilsteins that nut typically holds a pressurized gas charge in the strut.

Personally, I'd contact GC, and/or Koni.

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk.

ultimica06 11-10-2013 01:40 PM

Damn I had a link about the KONI Yellow bolt thing...

You had to purchase a different bolt size!...I cant find the link anymore...

This is cool...How much are the GC Sleeves going to run???

will they fit the 1st Gen too????

mazda3az 11-10-2013 01:53 PM

GC Install Questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by philrab (Post 9010130)
My only worry is grinding off so much material that you structurally weaken that nut. I'm not as familiar with Koni, but in Bilsteins that nut typically holds a pressurized gas charge in the strut.

Personally, I'd contact GC, and/or Koni.

Yeah, but I work on the car on weekends, and guess who's closed on....weekends. Really didn't want to pull this apart another time. Sigh. You do make perfect sense, though. Do it right the first time.

I have already ground down one of the "nuts" (see pics). Keep in mind it was round to start with, so it was removing 1/16" equally all the way around. Seems to be still pretty sound.

Not sure what "bolt" the second poster referred to above. This kit is now showing on the GC Website, around $429 I think. I do have a Gen 1 car......

So, right now I either put the stock springs back on and wait, or cut the spring perches off and.....hope. Seems like it's never easy for me and my projects. It's always something.

EDIT: Pro Kit springs on, will call GC tomorrow to see how best to proceed. Got a strong hunch the 10+ MS3 Konis have a different top, and that I'm the "Gen 1 Test Guy". :-)

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ps173eff8f.jpg http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...psd319e5f1.jpg

Adam3s 11-11-2013 10:49 AM

Scott, if it was round to start with I'd just take off what you need to make it work.

I'm going to call G/C today as well and find out a few things, most importantly which option, "stock or Koni" I should choose if I have Bilsteins and what the difference is between the kits. As you can see the bilsteins don't disassemble quite like the Koni and lack that plate you are having issues with.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...y/DSCN0940.jpg

mazda3az 11-11-2013 11:34 AM

Good plan. I'm not looking forward to sawing off the lower spring perch either. Wish someone just sold a shock that came without it for our cars (like the Miata design).

I wonder if we really, really need to remove that spring perch........Hmmm.

I can't call Donovan until later this morning after tennis to ask my questions, but I'd bet the farm the answer for my shocks is to grind down that "nut".

Adam3s 11-11-2013 11:47 AM

Yeah, just tried to call and nobody is there at the moment. I'm sure he'll just tell you to grind it as we both know these kits require some modification. I'm going to take the oem spring perch off. I hear you don't "have" to, but it will limit the amount of ride height adjustment if you don't.

I noticed they already have pre-selected eibach springs in these kits sorted by "touring" "aggressive" and "race" spring rates. Which one did you select and do you know the actual spring rate?

mazda3az 11-11-2013 02:08 PM

Uh, y'know, this is a holiday......maybe they observe it. :wink:

No email back from them (GC) today, so likely they are closed.

They initially recommended an "aggressive" spring rate for me (525f/650r) but after reading ClemsonMZ3's thread and data I called them and dropped to 400f/525r. You can select whatever rates you want when you order. Front and rear springs are both the 2.5"/6" size, good for future mixing and matching.

Where did you find the touring/aggressive/and race references? Donovan just looked at their info and told me on the phone what the "aggressive" rates were.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam3s (Post 9011354)
Yeah, just tried to call and nobody is there at the moment. I'm sure he'll just tell you to grind it as we both know these kits require some modification. I'm going to take the oem spring perch off. I hear you don't "have" to, but it will limit the amount of ride height adjustment if you don't.

I noticed they already have pre-selected eibach springs in these kits sorted by "touring" "aggressive" and "race" spring rates. Which one did you select and do you know the actual spring rate?

Adam3s 11-11-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazda3az (Post 9011650)
Uh, y'know, this is a holiday......maybe they observe it. :wink:

No email back from them (GC) today, so likely they are closed.

They initially recommended an "aggressive" spring rate for me (525f/650r) but after reading ClemsonMZ3's thread and data I called them and dropped to 400f/525r. You can select whatever rates you want when you order. Front and rear springs are both the 2.5"/6" size, good for future mixing and matching.

Where did you find the touring/aggressive/and race references? Donovan just looked at their info and told me on the phone what the "aggressive" rates were.

Figured they might be closed for Veterans day. I'm taking today off myself.

When you add the kit to your cart online it asks what type of shocks you're running (right now just has stock and Koni as options) and also what type of springs you want (touring, aggressive, race). I was planning on specifying my own spring rates anyway, but was curious on what they had pre-selected for customers. Surprised they are spec'ing such stiff springs. If the middle option is 525/650 their "race" option must be in the stratosphere.

color0 11-12-2013 12:57 AM

I still think some of you guys are nuts running those springs in the rear. The natural frequency of 450lbs/in front springs on a 2.0L 3 is just below 2.1Hz. The same springs in the rear will hit almost 2.3Hz. 525lbs/in rear spring brings that to almost 2.5Hz. Unless I'm running the numbers wrong, even a 450/525 setup is worth a 17% rear bias. How do you guys drive 400/525? Do you have no front camber??? :screwy: