Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum (http://www.mazda3forums.com/forumindex.php)
-   Autocross, Track, and Dyno Results (http://www.mazda3forums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Wheel/Tire help! (http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=561298)

ibob991 10-23-2013 05:37 PM

Wheel/Tire help!
 
Hey guys, I am currently driving a 06 mazda3I and am looking to enter the autox scene a little bit. The car ran in a solo event a few weeks ago and the tires (all seasons) were for sure the limiting factor. I am not looking to get competitive yet, but from my little research once i leave oem width (6.5) I get bumped to stf. Classing at this point doesn't matter to me too much since the car is currently my dd and I don't want to change too much on it. What wheel/tire size do you guys recommend. From what I have read, I should pick up a set of 17x7.5 wheels and put 215/225's on them, but I am really hoping that someone with more autox knowledge can help me out!

Adam3s 10-23-2013 07:12 PM

I'd say the answer depends on who you ask and more than one setup can be successful. Here's the perfect thread for you.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=517066

ibob991 10-23-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam3s (Post 8987962)
I'd say the answer depends on who you ask and more than one setup can be successful. Here's the perfect thread for you.

http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=517066

I read that thread, but I still would like to know what size tire I should run on a 7.5-8 inch wheel. 225 or 215

Adam3s 10-23-2013 08:33 PM

225

Adam3s 10-23-2013 08:50 PM

Also, you can't run an 8" wide wheel in STF. 7.5" is the max.

ibob991 10-23-2013 09:00 PM

Alright, thanks for the help!

dgross7 10-23-2013 10:57 PM

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...ated%205-1.pdf

read read read. this explains everything you're allowed to do for stf :)

mazda3az 10-26-2013 05:22 PM

I sure would recommend staying Stock for a while until you get the hang of things.

Put some 225x45x17 Dunlop/BFG/Hankook tires on your car (or 16's) and learn to drive first before changing a bunch of stuff. Perhaps add a large rear sway bar as your only mod for a while. Stay in H Stock while it still exists. :-)

Like that.

ibob991 10-26-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazda3az (Post 8991186)
I sure would recommend staying Stock for a while until you get the hang of things.

Put some 225x45x17 Dunlop/BFG/Hankook tires on your car (or 16's) and learn to drive first before changing a bunch of stuff. Perhaps add a large rear sway bar as your only mod for a while. Stay in H Stock while it still exists. :-)

Like that.

The car is already in STF, I have a CAI. I do already have a corksport rear sway on the car.

mazda3az 10-26-2013 06:15 PM

STF Stuff.......
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ibob991 (Post 8991194)
The car is already in STF, I have a CAI. I do already have a Corksport rear sway on the car.

Well OK then; jumped in with both feet, did you?:winker:

The rear sway is Stock-eligible, not the CAI. Did you get the long or short CAI? I have the short one on my 2006 3i. I like it.

I also have the max size allowed 225x45x15 BFG Rivals, but only on 15x7.0 wheels for now. They were cheaper than the 7.5's. Hankooks or Dunlops in the same size would be likely just as good as the Rivals; opinions will vary.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
8