Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum (http://www.mazda3forums.com/forumindex.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.mazda3forums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=339)
-   -   Car to take apart? (http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=518394)

MBalik 09-06-2013 04:26 PM

Car to take apart?

Ok so this doesn't really anything to do with mazda specifically but I was thinking the best way to learn about the mechanical aspect of cars would be to buy a shitbox and take it apart, then put it back together :)

I want to spend the least amount of money on the car itself, and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions as to what to get?

I think it would be cool to get an rx-7 or maybe even mx-3 to stay in the mazda family :p

Thanks in advance!

Phames11 09-06-2013 04:41 PM

Well if you want to learn to take a car apart and put it back together it seems for practical in my opinion to go with the mx-3 since it is a regular piston engine.

Cab0oze 09-06-2013 05:22 PM

I have a word of advice.
Call me when you're ready to get started. I want to help lol

philrab 09-06-2013 05:43 PM

I rec a Miata. Fun, rwd, cheap. Fair warning, they are known to have issues with under body corrosion in salt/snow areas.

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk.

itstillruns 09-06-2013 08:27 PM

if u take a shitbox and pull it apart and put it together then all you have is a shitbox

so how about you get a car thats easy to modify and do some work on it

like how about getting a 240sx and putting a sr20det in it, or a miata, or a rx7 like you said

SailorJamesD 09-06-2013 08:46 PM

Keep in mind youre gonna need new gaskets, seals, hardware, etc. Price adds up fast.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

okellyr 09-07-2013 12:08 AM

+1 to the miata

MBalik 09-07-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itstillruns (Post 8889626)
if u take a shitbox and pull it apart and put it together then all you have is a shitbox

so how about you get a car thats easy to modify and do some work on it

like how about getting a 240sx and putting a sr20det in it, or a miata, or a rx7 like you said

I don't want to modify the car. This for now is only for "learning experience". Soon as i know/ have a better idea of how thing work then i'll bother investing in a cool lil whip like a 240sx or supra or wtvr.

I'd rather screw something up on a 500$ car where IDGAF than on a 2-3k car.

dahoov 01-04-2014 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalik (Post 8890666)
I don't want to modify the car. This for now is only for "learning experience". Soon as i know/ have a better idea of how thing work then i'll bother investing in a cool lil whip like a 240sx or supra or wtvr
I'd rather screw something up on a 500$ car where IDGAF than on a 2-3k car.

I'm saving up for this too, actually, except I'm kinda doing the reverse: I want to buy an engine and transmission to tear down then rebuild/ just go crazy and experiment with, and then when I'm done with that/whenever I have money, find an old junk roller and take everything off the frame so I can put the engine in and "create" something :) all I really want is something that I can mess around and tinker with since I've never really been the TV or videogame type... :D

MBalik 01-04-2014 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoov (Post 9112162)
I'm saving up for this too, actually, except I'm kinda doing the reverse: I want to buy an engine and transmission to tear down then rebuild/ just go crazy and experiment with, and then when I'm done with that/whenever I have money, find an old junk roller and take everything off the frame so I can put the engine in and "create" something :) all I really want is something that I can mess around and tinker with since I've never really been the TV or videogame type... :D

Lol good job on finding my old thread. That sounds really cool. I'd love to know what you end up doing :p