Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum (http://www.mazda3forums.com/forumindex.php)
-   Consumer Reviews (http://www.mazda3forums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   New potential buyer - a few questions (http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=369440)

alberto24 07-19-2010 10:31 AM

New potential buyer - a few questions

First time poster - really enjoying reading this forum - I have been using a mazda 3 (mostly 2008/2009) with zipcar over the past couple of years. I found it to be my favorite car they offer (the scion was also good but ugly as heck) and as a very heavy guy, I found the car to be ok for my size. My previous car was a 2000 Jetta which I absolutely loved - only sold because of my move to NYC.

I need to get a car this week as the rentals are just too expensive - am considering the 2010 Mazda 3.

So I am curious:
-- is there a big difference in the 2.0 and 2.5 engines? I am considering the iTouring and sSport models (my Jetta had the base 2.0 engine)
-- is the tech package "all that"? I didn't realize you had to add the moon/bose to get the tech - meaning $2,500 upgrade for it
-- what's the difference between remote keyless entry and advanced remote keyless entry?
-- does the car have an auto up and auto down button for the driver window?

anything else i should know before going to the dealer?

thanks!

Rhodes991 07-19-2010 11:38 AM

Re: New potential buyer - a few questions

-- is there a big difference in the 2.0 and 2.5 engines? I am considering the iTouring and sSport models (my Jetta had the base 2.0 engine)
I didn't drive the 2.0 so I have no input here. MPG is better with the 2.0

-- is the tech package "all that"? I didn't realize you had to add the moon/bose to get the tech - meaning $2,500 upgrade for it
I would have liked the tech packages but read negative things about the NAV so for the money I skipped it.

-- what's the difference between remote keyless entry and advanced remote keyless entry?
Remote entry is just being able to unlock your doors and hatch/trunk with the keyfob. Advanced key is where you can leave the key in your pocket and the doors unlock when you get close to the car (may have to push a button on thehandle as well). You also can start the car with the push button with out getting your keys out.

Auto down, but not up.

anything else i should know before going to the dealer?
I like my 2010 and was able to get what I thought was a good deal (I have the GT with Bose/Moonroof). The newer model 2010s do not have the turn indicators in the outside mirror housing anymore and I think both models use the same grill now. I am not a small guy, but not a very big either. At 5'11 and 210 I fit nicely in the car.

Hope this helps.

Piranha 07-23-2010 08:27 PM

[quote author=rhodes991 link=topic=176564.msg3732449#msg3732449 date=1279553913]

Auto down, but not up.

[/quote]

I have a 2010 GT hatch and my drivers window has both auto up and down.

Rhodes991 07-24-2010 01:47 PM

You are correct. I was thinking of my wifes Focus.

konun47 07-30-2010 09:38 AM

[quote author=rhodes991 link=topic=176564.msg3732449#msg3732449 date=1279553913]

Auto down, but not up.

[/quote]

The 2010 driver side has auto up and auto down.

lvlup 02-13-2011 09:54 PM

Hello im a new mazda 3 shopper too.

i visited my local mazda dealership to test drive the vehicles, love em, and i really want one.

now i'm actually looking for used cars, not new, so, the dealership had a bunch used right, only like 1 or 2 were 2008/09 models, while the majority (like 15-25 cars) were all the 2010 models.

which is my question...why is there so many pre-owned 2010s? is there something about the 2010s that are making people 2nd guess their purchases later on?? or is it simply because the "older cars" are snatched up quicker due to our current economy market..

Rhodes991 02-14-2011 10:03 AM

Coud be that dealer purchased a few at auction (former rental cars) or they were former demos that they are considering "used". Haven't heard of people trading back in based on issues with the 2010 model.

lvlup 02-16-2011 01:03 AM

and are there any key things i should check in a 2010 model when i go look at some used ones?

Rhodes991 02-16-2011 08:54 AM

I have just under 25K on mine with no issues to date. I did read something posted on the forums about the plastic over the radio display seperating (bubblying up) that was replaced under warrenty. Check to make sure that isn't happening and if it is have it replaced. I do not think it is a widespread issue, but still worth checking out.

senor budd 02-27-2011 10:40 AM

For any other potential buyers...

So the 2.5 is cool for the branding on the car over the previous 2.3 models. :lol: I don't know about engine sounding different tho..

DO NOT get the pricey tech package! The NAV is just lame. You'll get better results in efficiency and display with your smartphone. I think I read you'd have to pull over to use it and it's controls are based from the steering wheel. It's such a low-end NAV it's pathetic.

I almost bought mine with BOSE but 6-CD changer? Who uses those things anymore? My Zune sounds excellent and even better than any iPod or iPhone I've hooked up to it. Just saying...

I would suggest getting the all-weather mats though! I never remove my driver's seat one.