Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum

Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum (http://www.mazda3forums.com/forumindex.php)
-   Release / Pricing (http://www.mazda3forums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Any dealer tips/tricks to get the lowest price? (http://www.mazda3forums.com/showthread.php?t=365694)

aviatorkpoc 05-14-2010 03:29 PM

Any dealer tips/tricks to get the lowest price?

I am planing on buying my very first "new" car this month and i have decided to get the 2010 mazda3 hatch.
Does anyone have any tips/tricks/suggestions on that to do at the dealer to get the lowest price?

Magudaman 05-14-2010 08:07 PM

Re: Any dealer tips/tricks to get the lowest price?

Don't negotiate the price at the dealer. Look up on Mazda's website to figure out who has the car you want, in what color, tranny, etc and write emails to each of those dealers in your area. Their internet department has some serious price pushing abilities and you will not need to haggle at all once you get there. In the email just say you are email put the vin number you are interested in, that you are emailing multiple dealers and what is the best price they will give you. I ended up getting my Mazda 3 5 door/hatch sport no accessory packages that was Window Sticker at 20,455 down to 17555 plus 2 years of parts and maint. Good luck!

khooke 05-16-2010 12:53 PM

Since it's a new car if you don't like one dealer's price you can go to the next dealer and get the same car for whatever their offer is. The dealers know this. Get quotes over the phone or email from all the nearest dealers and then take them with you when you go to your chosen dealer to make your purchase. Tell them you have quotes from x, y and z and tell them the prices. Best they can do is match or offer less. If you don't like their offer, go to the next dealer until you've got a deal you like.

Also, look up what the dealer's invoice price is for the car. This is what they paid for it. You won't be able to get them much below this price unless they're getting sales incentives from the manufacturer, but you should be able to get somewhere inbetween invoice and the window sticker price.

Costco have a new car buyer service where they'll show you all the manufacturer offers and deals the dealer gets on the specific car that you're looking at. Costs $15 I think. This will show you the absolute lowest price the dealer will be willing to sell for taking into account all the incentives they get from the manufacturer. Use this as your starting haggle price.

konun47 05-26-2010 10:22 PM

carbuyingtips.com and edmunds.com both excellent sites for auto research also msn autos... etc.

lpescato 05-27-2010 09:30 PM

always learn the invoice price, and try AND GET IT FOR LESS THAN THAT. sorry caps. anyway, find out exactly what u want and what options, then start emailing dealers. i got mine lowered considerably by getting quotes and telling other dealers i got quoted less. in other words, lie, dont be afraid to as its what most dealers do for a living.

Silastic Armorfiend 07-25-2010 09:49 PM

Magudaman hit it on the head; Their internet department has some serious price pushing abilities and you will not need to haggle at all once you get there.

I got my MZ3 GT 6 speed for 18,999. I think it came to 21,120 out the door. I "thought" invoice was 20K on this car. If I would've walked into the dealership and started negotiations, I would have never gotten close to 18,999.

#1: Request an online quote from 3 local dealers. I have spoken to 2 others who, between them, have bought 5 vehicles by getting online quotes. Once they had an online quote, they were not able to go a penny lower, no matter what tactic they used.

#2: NEVER discuss "what do you want your payments to be?" Guess what? If you say $350/month, the price of the car will make the payments come out to $355/month, and they'll drop their price to $350/month.

#3: Two things: Tell them think you are bringing cash. DO NOT tell them you own a Mazda. Why? If they think you are going to finance at 0%, or they KNOW you have a Mazda, they bump the price of the car up $500, and then magically give you your $500 for getting 0% financing, and $500 off for being a mazda loyal owner (Effectively stealing your rebate...).

#4: Don't be afraid to walk out, or tell them their price is too high.

#5: THE LINE: "Look, I am going to buy a car TODAY. I could buy it here, or I could go somewhere else. If you want to make this sale, ______"

ty2dayok 07-25-2010 10:38 PM

[quote author=Silastic Armorfiend link=topic=172767.msg3739926#msg3739926 date=1280108989]
Magudaman hit it on the head; Their internet department has some serious price pushing abilities and you will not need to haggle at all once you get there.

I got my MZ3 GT 6 speed for 18,999. I think it came to 21,120 out the door. I "thought" invoice was 20K on this car. If I would've walked into the dealership and started negotiations, I would have never gotten close to 18,999.

#1: Request an online quote from 3 local dealers. I have spoken to 2 others who, between them, have bought 5 vehicles by getting online quotes. Once they had an online quote, they were not able to go a penny lower, no matter what tactic they used.

#2: NEVER discuss "what do you want your payments to be?" Guess what? If you say $350/month, the price of the car will make the payments come out to $355/month, and they'll drop their price to $350/month.

#3: Two things: Tell them think you are bringing cash. DO NOT tell them you own a Mazda. Why? If they think you are going to finance at 0%, or they KNOW you have a Mazda, they bump the price of the car up $500, and then magically give you your $500 for getting 0% financing, and $500 off for being a mazda loyal owner (Effectively stealing your rebate...).

#4: Don't be afraid to walk out, or tell them their price is too high.

#5: THE LINE: "Look, I am going to buy a car TODAY. I could buy it here, or I could go somewhere else. If you want to make this sale, ______"
[/quote]
Thats perfect, but the main thing is to have them think your not truly attached to the car and if you dont agree on the price dont be afraid to walk away and if your luck they will chase you out the door, if not go to the next dealer and try again :)

filthaypinoy206 09-13-2010 09:05 PM

threaten TO LEAVE!!! WORKED FOR ME :) this is their money walking out the door.. some dealerships are thinking of how they are gonna put food on the table...

blueyedwonder 09-15-2010 12:54 PM

[quote author=aviatorkpoc link=topic=172767.msg3659175#msg3659175 date=1273865381]
I am planing on buying my very first "new" car this month and i have decided to get the 2010 mazda3 hatch.
Does anyone have any tips/tricks/suggestions on that to do at the dealer to get the lowest price?
[/quote]

I managed to knock over $2,500 off the MSRP when I bought my 2010 Mazda3 I Touring last month due to doing research on TRUECAR.COM and Ebay. They both offered great options and negotiation power to myself so I was VERY prepared when i went into the dealership to actually purchase the car :D

FOOF3R 09-15-2010 12:56 PM

[quote author=Filthaypinoy206 link=topic=172767.msg3795678#msg3795678 date=1284426328]
threaten TO LEAVE!!! WORKED FOR ME :) this is their money walking out the door.. some dealerships are thinking of how they are gonna put food on the table...
[/quote]

This.

Also if you have a trade in, tell them that another dealer said they would give you more than they're offering you.